STATUS AS OF JULY 15: Chalmette Battlefield and Chalmette National Cemetery are open to vehicles 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. daily (9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. on federal holidays) and to pedestrians at all times. Restrooms and the visitor center remain closed; no ranger programs will be offered.
What's closed: All buildings at all park sites including visitor centers and restrooms. The Barataria Preserve, including trails, is completely closed to visitors. Closure of the preserve was determined following guidance from the CDC, state and local health authorities, and NPS Public Health Service officers.
For your safety:
- If it's an emergency, call 911 no matter where you are
- If you need help for situations like suspicious activity, illegal dumping, poaching, etc., call 1-855-NPS-JELA (1-855-677-5352) for National Park Service Law Enforcement Response. Give the dispatcher your contact number and as much information as you can.
The health and safety of visitors, employees, volunteers, and partners at Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve are the park's number one priority. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidance for the coronavirus/COVID 19 pandemic includes social distancing. If you are coming to the park, please choose to visit areas that are not crowded to allow for adequate social distancing.
As services are limited, the National Park Service urges visitors to:
- Pack out everything you bring into a park.
- Maintain social distance from other visitors.
- Park safely off the road or highway.
- If you encounter a crowded area, go elsewhere.
The National Park Service urges everyone to do their part when visiting a park and to follow CDC guidance to prevent the spread of infectious diseases by maintaining a safe distance between yourself and other groups; cleaning your hands often; avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth; covering your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze; and most importantly, staying at home if you feel sick.
For information on non-emergency closures and construction at park sites, follow the link for details.