Do Business With Us


Commercial Use Authorizations

What is a Commercial Use Authorization?

A Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) is a business permit with the National Park Service. It authorizes you to conduct commercial activities and to provide specific visitor services within a national park. We will only issue CUAs for activities that:

You must have a CUA if you or your organization provide services that:

  • take place at least in part in the National Park area,
  • use park resources, and
  • result in monetary gain.

You may not conduct commercial activities in the park without a valid CUA or in a manner inconsistent with the terms of the CUA.


2022 COVID-19 CUA Guidance:

Guide Orientation Video:

Visit our keyboard shortcuts docs for details
6 minutes, 15 seconds

Millions of visitors come to the Southeast Utah Parks each year and seek out knowledgeable guides to aid them in their experience. As a commercial guide, it is your responsibility to keep the members of your group safe while also providing a worthwhile experience. Please ensure all tour guides watch this video before taking guests into the park.


Authorized Services

Hovenweep National Monument authorizes the following commercial services with an approved Commercial Use Authorization:

Road-based Commercial Tours

You must have a separate CUA for each individual service.


How much does a CUA cost?

The annual fee is $300 per CUA for each national park area listed in the application. Payment must be processed through

The National Park Service is authorized to recover, associated management and administrative costs associated with CUAs. The CUA fee covers the costs of processing and administering your application as well as overseeing the operational, safety, and environmental requirements stipulated in the permit.


Do CUA holders have to pay an entrance fee?

Yes. Fees depend on the type of service you offer.

Tour CUA holders:
Pay the commercial tour entrance fee each time you enter the park. Annual and lifetime passes do not apply.

Current entrance fees (per vehicle) based on vehicle size:

  • Vehicle capacity of 1 to 6 passengers: $25 + $10 per person, not to exceed $40
  • Vehicle capacity of 7 to 25: $40
  • Vehicle capacity of 26+: $100

Transportation CUA holders:
Taxi & Trail Shuttle, Still Photography & Art Instruction, Guided Interpretive Day Hiking CUA holders:
Pay the park’s per-person entrance fee for your clients; participants may use valid entrance fee receipts, annual or lifetime passes.

Current entrance fees:

  • $15 per person

How do I apply for a CUA?

Step 1

  • Download and complete the CUA application [725k, accessible PDF]
  • A single application can be used to request CUA(s) for: Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, Natural Bridges National Monument, and Hovenweep National Monument.

Step 2

  • Pay a non-refundable fee of $300 for each type of commercial service you are providing.
  • Applicants should submit payments via only. Do not send checks. To make a payment:
    • Search for "SEUG" in the search window.
    • Find Southeast Utah Group – National Parks Commercial Use Authorization Fees – click “continue."
    • Fill all applicable fields on the payment form.
    • Enter a total dollar amount of $300 for each commercial service in each park you are applying for.
    • Save your payment confirmation; you will submit this with your application.

Step 3

Submit the following to the commercial services email address listed in the application document. If you have questions, call 435-719-2123.

  1. Your completed CUA application.
  2. Payment confirmation. Include the confirmation of payment.
  3. A current General Liability Certificate of Insurance documenting adequate General Liability coverage for the type of activity you will be conducting. The minimum coverage for commercial use is $1,000,000. The insurance certificate must name the United States of America as an additional insured as well as specify that the service authorized by the permit is covered by the insurance policy.
  4. Current automobile liability insurance that complies with the minimum coverage required by Utah State law. The insurance certificate must name the United States of America as additional insured. See CUA conditions above for minimums.

Incomplete packages cannot be processed.


How long does it take to get a CUA?

Please allow 30 working days to process a CUA application. We review applications in the order they are received.


What are the reporting requirements?

CUA holders are required to submit an annual report each year. Renewal CUA applications cannot be processed until your annual report is received. It is strongly encouraged to file the report as early as possible. The report is due at the end of your operating season, with a deadline of January 31.

The report provides the park with visitation statistics, reportable injury data, and a record of annual gross receipts. Please complete an annual report for each park your business operated in.

Download Form 10-660 - CUA Annual Report [339k accessible PDF].


Sample Acknowledgement of Risk Form

CUA holders may not require clients to sign a waiver of liability statement or form, insurance disclaimer and/or indemnification agreement. They may request or require clients to sign an acknowledgement of risk statement or form prior to participation. You can download a sample. [178k Accessible PDF]

For more questions, contact the CUA program manager at 435-719-2123.

Southeast Utah Group Commercial Use Authorization Revocation Policy

Last updated: September 20, 2023

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

McElmo Route
Cortez, CO 81321


970 562-4282 x5

Contact Us