The Stonebridge Area contains several features of the old Fordyce-Ricks estate. In 1878 Samuel W. Fordyce purchased about 1,200 acres on Park Avenue northeast of the city. Later, in 1903 he hired the St. Louis architectural firm of Mauran, Russell, and Garden to design a log house on the property reminiscent of a late 19th or early 20th century railroad hostelry. Construction on the imposing 4,338-square-foot home began in 1904 and was completed by 1909. "The Cabin," as Fordyce called it, was designed in the rustic Adirondack style with an exterior of logs and stone designed to integrate with the surrounding environment. Fordyce decorated the interior of "the Cabin" with his weapons collection and trophies of the hunt. John Fordyce, the eldest of Samuel’s three sons, served as construction engineer on the project.
Last updated: August 19, 2020