|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Jessica Ferracane, 808-985-6018
Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park announces the following upcoming flight plans for the remainder of January and February 2015:
• January 26, 27 and 30, between 6:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m., to transport fencing material, camp supplies and crew near the Kahuku Unit/Ka‘ū Forest Reserve Boundary
• February 5, 6, 9, 10, 13, 23 and 27, between 8 a.m. and noon, to transport fencing material from near the top of Mauna Loa Road to approximately 9,000-ft. elevation.
• February 11, between 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., to survey and control invasive fountain grass in the Ka‘ū Desert.
• February 17 and 19, between 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. to transport crew and equipment to field camp for fountain grass control in Kamo‘oali‘i.
• February 17, between 6 a.m. and 8 a.m., for ungulate surveys and control work in Kahuku between 3,000- and 7,000-ft. elevation.
• February 23, between 9 a.m. and noon, to survey and control invasive faya tree in Kahuku above 5,000-ft. elevation. Survey and control invasive faya tree in Kahuku above 5,000-ft. elevation.
• February 27, between 9 a.m. and noon, to survey and control mullein above Mauna Loa Road.
The park regrets any noise impact to residents and park visitors. Dates and times are subject to change based on aircraft availability and weather.
Management of the park requires the use of aircraft to monitor and research volcanic activity, conduct search-and-rescue missions and law enforcement operations, support management of natural and cultural resources, and to maintain backcountry facilities.