The 1965 Land and Water Conservation Fund Act provided for granting Fee Waivers to schools or other bona fide educational institutions. If you feel your group may qualify for a fee waiver, this checklist will assist you in constructing your request. For more information, visit the Education & Fees Frequently Asked Questions page.
Military groups may also use this document to apply for a fee waiver.
All students in the 10th grades and under are granted a fee waiver based upon the learning objectives, concepts, and standards stated when submitting an education reservation sheet (please note that stating “educational purposes” is insufficient). For older students, please use this checklist to ensure that your fee waiver request meets all of the requirements. Please do not omit any information.
Waiver Request Requirements
The request must be written on the letterhead of the educational institution, and the group's educational status must be documented. Submit one of the following to prove eligibility:
- A statement confirming educational or scientific tax exemption from the IRS or the applicant’s national, state, or local tax authority
- A statement from a bona fide academic institution meeting one of these eligibility standards,confirming that the group is visiting for the purpose of providing transferable academic credit based on a curriculum
- A statement of accreditation or recognition as an educational institution from a legitimate international, national, regional, state, or local authority for the applicant’s location.
The request must include the following:
- Name of school or group (okay if just in letterhead)
- Name of contact person (okay if person just signs request)
- School telephone number (okay if just in letterhead)
- School address (okay if just in letterhead)
- Date of visit
- Time of arrival at park and departure of visit
- Number of students and grade level participating
- Number of chaperones/faculty (Please note: standard chaperone:student ratio for Pre-K-4th grade is 1:3, 5-8th grade is 1:5, and for 9-12th grade is 1:10. Please contact us if you require an exception to these ratios)
- Statement of purpose
- Note: The statement of purpose is required to explain how the learning objectives for the visit directly relate to park resources. A statement that the visit is for “educational purposes” is insufficient.
- Request letter is signed
- Request is submitted to the park by mail or fax a minimum of three weeks prior to the visit. If an official fee waiver or education reservation is not made with the stated three weeks advance notice, the group will be subject to paying normal park entrance fees upon arrival.
Mail to: Superintendent Tyrone Brandyburg
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
P.O. Box 65 Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
Fee waiver requests are processed separately from reservation sheets. Please complete the process a minimum of three weeks prior to the visit. Submission of a fee waiver request does not automatically constitute a waiver of fees. Approval is necessary.
If you have questions regarding Education Reservations, please contact the following:
Harpers Ferry NHP Education Staff
If you have questions regarding Fee Waivers and Entrance Fees or Non-educational Groups, please contact the following:
Harpers Ferry NHP Fees Staff