This webpage links to primary and secondary historical sources recently published or shared online by the Louisa County Historical Society, including by Society-affiliated researchers in the descendant community; written recently from academic or descendant-community perspectives and published; or researched recently by the National Park Service.
This page is intended as a sampler for historical reference, about past residents and events within what is today the Green Springs National Historic Landmark District in Louisa County, not a comprehensive, historical overview nor a listing of all relevant websites and primary or secondary historical sources for the Landmark District. Not implied below is the presence or absence of an NPS-held conservation easement there, nor any specific, easement stipulations or management considerations. See the Maps page for introductory guidance regarding easements.
Not listed here are the websites, searchable and readily available online, maintained by the owners of Green Springs National Historic Landmark District properties and describing their individual property histories, resources, services or goals, locations, and contact information. Likewise not listed here is information on tribal history or tribal connections to or tribal perspectives on the Landmark District and its resources and significance, information also searchable if shared online by tribes.
Slavery, Slave Places, and Freedom Places
The Camp Creek Settlement of the Religious Society of Friends
Friends Visit the Camp Creek Settlement, and Describe it within the Context of a Regional Network, 1754-1789:
The Slave Houses at Green Springs, Virginia
The hills, the round-capped hills of sea-green hay
And the gabled farm houses with curving cedar-lined drives--
They are here. St. John’s Chapel with stained glass, ginger
lace eaves and trumpet vine wound
Around its fence seems ephemeral. But it is still here.
The Green Springs Spa has dried up, but the deep
Wood of oak, ivy, jewelweed in the marshes,
The one lane bridge on the gravel road through
Groves of Osage orange, and bordering the fields,
The Queen Anne’s lace, they are all still here as it was.
Ionia, Sylvania, and Prospect Hill, the handsome
Manor houses are marked by Eighteenth century
Charm. With chimneys Georgian balanced, they stand
On their lawns like monuments. In the sky,
And the slave houses are here, too, in all
This charm that could not have been
Without slaves. At Noland’s you see them,
One-windowed shanties, painted now, the slaves
Gone. But not gone far.
"Slave Houses at Green Springs, VA." Atlanta Magazine. May 2004, p. 96.
Reprinted in The Southern Poetry Anthology, Volume V:
Georgia. William Wright, ed. Texas Review Press, Sam Houston State
University, Huntsville, TX. December 2012.
Last updated: May 31, 2022