Regional Campgrounds Open in Winter
Listed by distance from Great Sand Dunes Visitor Center
Zapata Falls Campground - 11 miles south of the park Visitor Center, at 9000 feet in elevation. Primitive campground on Bureau of Land Management (BLM) land, with spectacular views of the entire dunefield and valley. No water; pit toilets; fire rings at each site. $11 per night. Open year round. Bumpy dirt/gravel road is not plowed in winter, but many vehicles drive on it, packing down the snow.
Blanca RV Park - 27 miles from Great Sand Dunes Visitor Center. in town of Blanca. 719-379-3201
Sand Dunes Swimming Pool and Campground - privately owned facility 30 miles west of Great Sand Dunes Visitor Center, 2 miles north of Hooper, CO. RV sites with hookups, tent sites, cabins, geothermal swimming pool, organic produce, salads and hot food items. Open year round, 719-378-2807.
UFO Watchtower and Campground - located 32 miles from Great Sand Dunes Visitor Center, located north of Hooper on Hwy. 17 Open year round. 719-378-2296.
Economy Campground - 35 miles southwest of Great Sand Dunes Visitor Center, 3 miles east of Alamosa. Full hook-ups, dump station, open year round, showers, go cart course, pets welcome. 719-589-5574
Backpacking is available year round, either on the dunes or in designated sites along the foothills.
Campgrounds Beyond 35 miles from Great Sand Dunes
· Valley View Hot Springs, Villa Grove (719) 256-4315.
· Joyful Journey Hot Springs (yurt/teepee), intersection Hwy. 17 and 285 (719) 256-4328
· Woods and River RV Park, Del Norte, 25 Alder St. (719) 657-4530, or toll free (877) 354-6922.
· Ute Bluff Lodge, Cabins and RV Park, 27680 Hwy 160, South Fork, (800) 473-0595.
· Goodnight's Lonesome Dove RV and Cabins, 180065 Hwy 160, South Fork.
· Aspen Ridge RV Park, 0700 W. Hwy 149, South Fork.
· Riverbend RV Resort, 33846 Hwy 160, South Fork, (800) 621-6512.
· Rainbow Lodge and RV Park, 30359 Hwy 160, South Fork. (888) 873-5174.
· Forest Service Campgrounds (reservations, if available, at 877-444-6777). Call below for weather closures.
Last updated: March 31, 2020