The following information has been taken directly from National Park Service Regulations (NPS-22). This is the guideline to be followed in granting education fee waivers. Bona fide educational or scientific institutions may qualify if the following conditions are met. Please Read Carefully. Your application package must contain all of the following.
- Current official documentation of recognition of affiliation as an educational institution by a Federal, State or local government entity, or other evidence attesting to educational status is attached (e.g. ACCREDITATION LETTER or an EDUCATIONAL TAX EXEMPT LETTER). It is insufficient to merely state or imply this on official letterhead. Your fee waiver CANNOT be processed without one of these documents submitted with your application.
- There must be a direct relationship between the visit purpose and the use of the Park. The visit must be to study some aspect/resource specific to the Grand Canyon. A general statement to the effect that the visit is for "educational purposes" is insufficient by itself. An explanation of what the educational purpose entails and how is related to Park resources is required. (Course outlines, lesson plans, or a copy of the curriculum meet this requirement.)
- The applicant is providing educational credit hours based on a specific course of instruction. The visit shall not be primarily for recreation purposes. (Generally, camping is considered a recreational activity). This requirement can be met by stating the course number, description and/or a copy of the catalog description for college courses or an outline of student work required for K-12. Number of Chaperones allowed will be: 20 College students - 1 Chaperone, 12 High School students - 1 Chaperone, 5 Elementary students - 1 Chaperone
An Educational Fee Waiver is not necessary if you are attending one of the park sponsored curriculum-based field trip programs. Read more...
Applications (download link is at the bottom of this page) must be received in the Fee Management Office 4-6 weeks in advance of the anticipated visit.
- REFUNDS WILL NOT BE GRANTED.
- FEE WAIVERS WILL NOT BE GIVEN AT THE ENTRANCE STATIONS.
- Fees will be waived only if each vehicle has a copy of the fee waiver.
When the visit is recreational, you enter as an "Organized Non-Commercial Group."
The following fees are then in effect:
Organized Non-Commercial Groups in vehicles with a manufacture's designed capacity of 16 or less are charged the $35.00 vehicle permit or a fee of $8.00 per person in vehicles with a manufacture's designed capacity of 16 or greater. Removal of seats from a vehicle does not then qualify for the lower rate. Age and pass exemptions apply.
The total fee charged for an Organized Non-Commercial Group will not exceed the $300 fee per vehicle.
Organized Non-Commercial Groups are not eligible to purchase Interagency Federal Recreational Lands Passes.
Organized Non-Commercial Groups include church groups, college/school groups, scouts, service organizations, military, etc. All holders of ATB Interagency Passes, Golden Passports, Grand Canyon passes and those under 16 years of age will be exempt from payment of fees. Passes allow free entrance to individual pass holders under the conditions stated on the pass.
Fee waivers do not include camping fees.
Fee waivers are not granted solely or partially on distance to their facilities and/or economic justification.
Organizations that are generally considered service, civic or fraternal, e.g. Scouting, Rotary, Elks and so forth do NOT quality for the education fee waiver, unless they meet the above applicable criteria.
You may submit the application by FAX: 928-638-7849or mail it to: Fee Management Office, P.O. Box 129, Grand Canyon, Arizona, 86023
Telephone: 928-638-7852 E-mail us here.
Download the Application for Fee Waiver for Educational Study
- North and South Rim reservations: 1-877-444-6777 or https://www.recreation.gov/
- Desert View, South Rim, East Entrance: First come, first served
- Ten X, U.S. Forest Service, Hwy 64: 928-638-2443 (May - September only)