|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Alexandra Picavet, Golden Gate National Recreation Area, (415) 561-4732
Contact: Doug Hecox, Federal Highway Administration, (202) 366-0660
Vehicles, bicyclists and pedestrians to experience parking lot and road closures and delays in 2011
Marin County, Calif. (February 25, 2011) – Starting March 1, Project Headlands construction activities will resume for several popular Marin Headlands roads.
Improvements planned and anticipated schedule during this construction season include:
- Northwest Bridge Parking lot reconstruction March 1 through April 15. The lot will be closed to vehicles, but a bicycle and pedestrian lane to the bridge will be maintained for the duration of the work.
- The extension of the right-turn lane on West Bunker Road (Danes Drive) near the Baker-Barry Tunnel beginning March 15, with 30-minute delays expected through mid-April.
- Reconstruction of Conzelman Road from Alexander Avenue to Kirby Cove access road and Battery Spencer beginning April 4 with full closure Mondays through Thursdays, open Fridays through Sundays. Campers at Kirby Cove must arrange for an escort ahead of time by calling the Marin Headlands Visitor Center at 415-331-1540. The Coastal Trail access from the Northwest Bridge Parking lot will remain open.
- Reconstruction of Conzelman Road from beyond Kirby Cove access Road to McCullough Road - begins April 4 will have a full closure in effect seven days a week through mid-September.
- Reconstruction of Field Road beginning in April. Expect vehicular delays and gravel road conditions through October.
- Reconstruction of Conzelman Road from Lower Fisherman's parking lot to Field Road starting in May.
"The most significant access interruption this season will be the closure of Conzelman Road from the Kirby Cove Access Road, just above Battery Spencer, to McCullough Road. This portion will be closed from April through mid-September to allow construction to proceed as quickly as possible," said Ricardo Suarez, the Division Engineer for the Federal Highway Administration. "During this closure all visitors will access the Marin Headlands via Bunker Road and the Baker-Barry Tunnel. Visitors can also expect up to 30 minute delays on Field Road and Bunker Road from the Baker-Barry Tunnel to Alexander Avenue (Danes Drive)."
Frank Dean, Superintendent of Golden Gate National Recreation Area, stated "We are pleased with the improvements that were made last year and ask for your continued patience while these necessary improvements are being made for safety and access. The project team is working hard to ensure visitors can start enjoying the park and the additional improvements the project will provide as soon as possible."
Information on the construction schedule, maps, and regular updates will be posted on the project website at www.projectheadlands.gov, and you can sign up for regular email updates or follow the progress on Twitter.