|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Sara Doyle, 907-697-2675BARTLETT COVE, ALASKA –The National Park Service (NPS) is pleased to announce its intent to re-envision and plan for the future of the Frontcountry areas of Glacier Bay National Park (Park).The Frontcountry includes Bartlett Cove, where the Park's core administrative facilities and visitor services are located, and surrounding non-wilderness Park lands and waters.
Park Superintendent Philip Hooge invites everyone to participate in the planning process to help us "ensure that Bartlett Cove is relevant to and accessible by a diversity of people, while its natural and cultural resource values remain well-preserved for future generations."
The planning process is anticipated to extend through August 2017, and will consider different ways of managing Bartlett Cove and Park Frontcountry as:
- A focal point for Park-related services and operations;
- A gateway to Glacier Bay and launching point for backcountry excursions;and
- A destination that welcomes all to explore and connect with the Park's ever-changing natural environment, scientific legacy as a living laboratory, and Huna Tlingit heritage and renewed living cultural traditions.
This summer, we encourage you to give input on Bartlett Cove's future during an open process called "scoping." The public scoping period - June through September 5, 2016 - is the ideal time for you to share your thoughts and ideas. Your input is very important in guiding the planning team's work, and helping the Park better align visitor activities with changing trends and needs.
There are multiple ways you can learn more about the planning process and submit public comment:
VISIT our project website to comment online
JOIN NPS staff and your neighbors at a Public Scoping Meeting
Drop-in to an informal open house event, mid-June 2016:
- Gustavus - Tuesday June 14, 2016, 4:00 - 6:00 PM, Salmon River Park
- Hoonah - Thursday June 16, 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM, Canoe Carving Shed
TALK to NPS staff at an Informal Listening Post
Look for an NPS outdoor booth at scheduled community gatherings this summer:
- Gustavus - July 4, 2016
- Bartlett Cove - August 25, 26, and 27, 2016
READ our Public Scoping Newsletter
Contact us to request a copy, or pick one up in Bartlett Cove at these locations:
- Glacier Bay Lodge
- Visitor Information Station "the VIS"
- Park Headquarters, 2nd Floor Reception
SUBSCRIBE to our mailing list
Sign up to receive planning updates and notices:
CONTACT US directly with questions, comments, or to learn more
- email: e-mail us
- phone: (907) 697-2675
- fax: (907) 697-2654
- mail: Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve P.O. Box 140, Gustavus AK 99826
Thank you for your interest in Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve.