Many songbird species are in trouble. With this kit, you can help your students appreciate our songbirds and learn how we can all work together to make sure that thier songs always herald spring in the Americas.
from the Songbird Blues Curriculum
This dynamic songbird kit is geared for the classroom as well as outdoors. Resource materials, activities, videos, a felt storyboard, posters, recorded bird songs, and puppets all help students learn more about the natural history of several songbirds.
The Songbird Trunk is a great way to get students thinking about the amazing feat of migration and where our summer songbirds disappear to every winter. It contains wonderful cultural connections with peoples living in Central and South America.
This trunk contains curriculum materials for grades K-5. The Songbird Blues: Exploring Migratory Songbirds of the Americas has lesson plans for grades K-5 while the Fiesta! Mexico and Central America: A Global Awareness Program has lessons plans for grades 2-5. Both curricula focus on songbirds in Montana-learning about their other life in the tropics, finding out about problems they face in their summer and winter homes, and learning how to take part in conservation efforts to conserve and protect songbirds and thier habitats. Check out some of the lessons!
- Songbird Research
- Schoolyard Bird Survey
- Parts of a Bird and Bird Silhouette
- My Changing Neighborhood
- The Master Moocher
- Binocular Practice and Activity Sheets
- Feathered Travelers: Neotropical Migratory Birds of the Americas. Deinlein, M. and Anderton, J. 2001.
- Flute's Journey: The Life of a Wood Thrush. Cherry, L. 1997. (ISBN: 015314369X)
- How Do Birds Find Their Way? (Let's Read-And-Find-Out Science). Gans, R. 1996. (ISBN: 0780762037)
- The Hummingbird King: A Guatemalan Legend. Palacios, A. 1993. (ISBN: 0816730520)
- Save My Rainforest. Zac, M. 1993. (ISBN: 0153022345)
- The Spruce Tree and the Chickadee
- Birds of North America. Kaufman, K. 2000. (ISBN: 0395964644)
- Birds of the Rocky Mountains. Fisher, C. 1997. (ISBN: 1551050919)
- A Field Guide to the Birds Coloring Book. Alden, P. and Peterson, R. 1982. (ISBN: 0395325218)
- Montana Birds. Putnam, C. and Kennedy, G. 2005. (ISBN: 1551054639)
- National Audubon Society Field Guide to Birds: Western Region. Udvardy, M. 2004. (ISBN: 0679428518)
- Peterson First Guides to Birds. Peterson, R. 1986. (ISBN: 0395906660)
- Stokes Beginner's Guide to Birds: Western Region. Stokes, D. and Stokes, L. 1996. (ISBN: 0316818127) 8 copies
- Stokes Field Guide to Birds: Western Region. Stokes, D. and Stokes, L. 1996. 0316818100
- A Field Guide to Western Bird Songs: Western North America Audio CD. Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology. 1992. (ISBN: 0395975190)
- North American Birds: Peterson Multimedia Guides.Houghton Mifflin Interactive. 1996. Multimedia CD-ROM. (ISBN: 0395900689)
- Peterson Field Guides: Western Bird Songs. Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology. 1991. Interactive audio CD
- Peterson Western Bird Songs cassette tapes. Peterson, R. 1992. (ISBN: 039551746X)
- Songbird Symphony: Dan Gibson's Solitudes, Exploring Nature with Music.Somerset Entertainment. Audio CD
- Voices of the Songbirds cassette tape-Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Wood Thrush, Scarlet Tanager, Indigo Bunting, American Redstart, Rufous Hummingbird, Sainson's Thrush, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Boblink, Brown-headed Cowbird, Western Tanager, Lazuli Bunting
- Winged Migration: Presented by Jacques Perrin.Sony Pictures Classics. 2003. Video DVD. (ISBN: 1404917535)
- Fact Cards-Swainson's Thrush, Western Tanager, Rufus Hummingbird, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Lazuli Bunting, Brow-headed Cowbird, Bobolink
- Posters-Tracking the Journey, Migration of the Western Hemisphere, Tropical Birds in Your Backyard
- Bird Puppets
- Create-A-Bird-Habitat felt board
- Birds of North America playing cards
- Boreal Forest Magazines
- Birds in a Changing Climate Magazines
- Eight (8) pairs of binoculars