Students will make their own compost. (This is an activity which stretches over 6 weeks.)
Grade Levels: K-3
Time Required: About 1/2 hour, with periodic checks on decomposing activity over 6 weeks
Subject Areas: life science, physical science
Waste food (fruit, egg shells, coffee grounds, leaves, grass clippings, vegetables-NO MEAT)
Gallon re-sealable plastic bags
Sketch books or journals to record changes
- Have students tear up waste so that it fills 2 measuring cups. Place it in the bag and add a cup of soil. Sprinkle water on the mixture and seal the bag.
- Have the students gently shake and squeeze the bag each day to mix the contents. The bag should be left open every other day.
- Have students draw the changes they see under magnifying lenses every week. Continue the process for 6 weeks. Have students try to answer these questions:
- What is growing on the mixture you made?
- How are the bags different?
- Where does the growing material come from?
- Have students use their compost on a potted plant or in their garden at home.
Self-contained in drawings and answers to questions.