To Defend A Nation

Built to defend the river approach to  Washington, DC, Fort Washington has stood as silent sentry for over 200 years. As technologies advanced so did Fort Washington, from the brick and stone of the 19th century to the concrete and steel of the 20th century.  Joining the National Park Service in 1946, the park continues to protect the Potomac River.

The Women's Army Auxiliary Corps was stationed at Fort Washington during World War II.

The WAAC's were here in World War II.

Fort Washington was established in 1809 and was an active post through World War II.

picnic table in one of the group picnic areas

Picnic Areas are available

Park has several group picnic areas. Reservations are required to use the area.

Historic Map of Point Comfort, Va.

400 Years of African American History

August 1619 The first documented landing of Africans to the colony of Virginia was recorded by English colonist John Rolfe.

Last updated: August 22, 2019

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

13551 Fort Washington Road
Fort Washington, MD 20744

Phone:

(301) 763-4600

Contact Us