Permits and Reservations

There are a variety of activities and events that can be held at Fort Washington Park that require permitting of some form. Below are some of the more popular activities with information on how to acquire the needed permits. All permitted activities must follow certain rules and regulations.

Permit FAQs


Fort Washington Park offers a great setting for family and organizational picnics.
Picnic areas are by reservation only and can be reserved at or calling 1-877-444-6777. Permitted picnic areas require a fee and are reserved for the permit holder's exclusive use. Permits are only honored on the day for which they are obtained and cannot be rescheduled due to weather conditions. Permit holders are responsible to preserve park resources and ensure their group follows park regulations. The permit holder will be held liable for any damages or necessary cleanup. Maximum group size for any picnic is 200 persons.

Commercial Filming and Photography

Commercial filming and photography is allowed under certain stipulations in Fort Washington Park. Commercial filming and photography activities must obtain a separate permit from other permitted activities. Permits can be obtained from the National Capital Region Permitting Office.

Special Events

Many community events, demonstrations, educational activities, and athletic competitions can be held at Fort Washington Park after obtaining a permit. All permitted events must maintain a balance of the public interest between daily visitor needs and special event needs. Permit applications are available at the National Capitol Region Permit Office. Please contact Fort Washington Park staff with any questions regarding the permitting process or what activities can be hosted in the park.
Organized Runs and Bicycling Events

Weddings and Other Ceremonies

Permits can be obtained for weddings and other similar ceremonies. Ceremonies are allowed near the lighthouse, in the visitor center loop, and in reserved picnic areas. Receptions and food service associated with these ceremonies can only be held in the reserved picnic areas. To ensure staff monitoring, all ceremonies must conclude by 5:00 pm. All commercial filming and photography associated with a ceremony, must obtain a seperate permit. For additional information contact the park, 771-208-1555 or email us.

Other Special Use

All parks are part of the community around them, and certain activities can have an impact on park resources. These activities often involve access, infrastructure, research. Permitting needs for these activities can be very specific and require close coordination between the permittee and the park. Scientific research permits go through the National Park Service Research Permit and Reporting System. Researchers with an approved NPS research permit should visit the Curatorial Requirements for Research Permits page. For any activities concerning access, construction, ground disturbance, or commercial vehicle use, please complete a special use permit application and contact National Capital Parks East headquarters at (202) 690-5185. For right of way permits, including those involving utilities, please contact the National Capital Region right-of-way coordinator.

Contact Us

If you have any questions about the permitting process or if a permit is required for your activity, please contact park staff at 771-208-1555 or Email us.

Last updated: October 31, 2023

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

13551 Fort Washington Road
Fort Washington, MD 20744


(771) 208-1555
If the staff is unable to answer the phone, please leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you. The phone is not monitored when the Visitor Center is closed, Monday through Wednesday. You may call Oxon Hill Farm at 771-208-1536 Monday through Wednesday for assistance..

Contact Us