2020 Everglades Photo Contest
Everglades National Park
2020 Theme: A Living Landscape
The Everglades is known around the world for its rich biodiversity, but it's also alive with stories, color, and history. Show us a photo that best represents how the wonders of this living landscape inspire you.
The contest winner will have their photo featured as the main banner image on the park's official website (www.nps.gov/ever).
Members of the park's social media team will also award 'Honorable Mentions' to nine additional images. These images will be featured on our 2020 Photo Contest web page and will be shared on social media.
How to Enter
- Entries will be accepted from April 18, 2020 to June 1, 2020.
- Entries will only be accepted via Instagram. Entrants must post an image using the hashtag #EvergladesPhotoContest to enter.
- Posts should also tag @evergladesnps and include a caption that addresses this year's theme, A Living Landscape.
- The contest winner will be announced on June 5, 2020 on our social media platforms — Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Photos must be taken within the boundary of Everglades National Park.
- The contest is open to all. Entrants under 18 years of age require the permission of a parent or guardian. By entering the contest, entrants under 18 years of age indicate that they have obtained the permission of a parent or guardian.
- Entries should show best practices for visiting national parks and public lands. Photographers and visitors are not allowed to harass wildlife or pick vegetation at any time. Touching or baiting wildlife is a form of harassment. Images containing illegal or prohibited activities will be disqualified. It is the entrant's responsibility for knowing and following park regulations. Photos must be family friendly.
- Photos must be the original, unaltered work of the entrant. The spirit of the contest is to capture a moment that has been experienced. No alteration or manipulation of photographs is permitted beyond standard optimization—minor adjustments to color, contrast, brightness; removal of dust and scratches; black and white conversions; slight cropping. To ensure compliance with the alteration and manipulations rules, for those photos that are finalists the park has the right to request the photographer provide the file that was recorded by the camera. The park retains the right to disqualify photos that, in their sole discretion, have been noticeably and/or excessively altered.
- Do not use Instagram to edit your image. Use of editing features in the Instagram app may disqualify entries.
- Entries with watermarks are not permitted.
- Entries should not contain recognizable images of people's faces.
- To qualify for the top prize, photos must be 6MP (six megapixels – 3072 x 2048px) or larger. Photos smaller than 6MP are permitted, but will only be awarded honorable mentions if selected.
- By submitting, the entrant agrees that they are the sole copyright owner of the image. By submitting an entry the entrant (in case of minors, the minor's parent/legal guardians) grants the National Park Service, or its authorized representatives and contractors, the right to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, distribute or display and use these materials in whole or in part, for government and non-government purposes, in any manner or media (whether now existing or created in the future), in perpetuity, and in all languages throughout the world. Use of this material shall include, but not be limited to, audiovisual programs; museum exhibits; websites; publications; product artwork; and project publicity. Additionally, entrants waive the right to inspect or approve any use of the material and any right to royalties or other compensation arising or related to the use of the material. The entrant holds harmless, releases, and forever discharges the National Park Service from all claims, demands, and causes of action which I, my heirs, representatives, executors, administrators, or any other persons acting on my behalf or on behalf of my estate have or may have by reason of this authorization. The entrant agrees to indemnify and hold the Government harmless for any and all losses, claims, expenses, suits, costs, demands and damages or liabilities on account of personal injury, death, or property damages of any nature whatsoever and by whomsoever made, arising out of the activities associated with the project in which I am taking park.
- Participants may enter as many images as they wish.
- If selected as a winning image, the entrant must be able to provide the highest resolution version of the image possible via email.
- Photos posted to Instagram before April 18, 2020 will be disqualified. If you want to enter a photo taken before the contest open date, you must upload the photo as a new post on Instagram.
For questions or more information, contact us by email at EVER_Social@nps.gov.