|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Linda Friar, 305-242-7714
WASHINGTON – Interior Department Chief of Staff Brian Waidmann will host a listening session in Miami, Florida on Thursday, March 22, 2007 to seek suggestions and ideas on President Bush’s $3 billion National Park Centennial Initiative to reinvigorate and strengthen national parks over the next decade
National Park Service officials participating in the listening session include NPS Southeast Regional Director Pat Hooks and superintendents and staff of Everglades, Dry Tortugas, and Biscayne National Parks and Big Cypress National Preserve.
The session will be held at the Miami-Dade Community College Homestead Campus from 7:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. The campus address is 500 College Terrace in Homestead, Florida. The event will be held in the Aviation Building F, Second Floor in Room F222-F223. The listening session will follow a community forum discussing the Biscayne-Everglades Greenway.
The listening session is part of a series of meetings being held around the nation this
month on the President’s proposal to provide up to $3 billion of new public and private investment to improve and expand national park conservation, preservation and visitor service programs by the National Park Service’s 100th birthday in 2016.
"This is a time for a thoughtful review of what needs to be done over the next decade and a great opportunity to think big and act boldly to develop a plan to prepare national parks for the future." Secretary Kempthorne said.
Participants are being asked to focus their comments on three vital questions:
● Think of you, your children or future generations enjoying national parks in 2016 and beyond. What are your hopes and expectations?
● What role do you think national parks should play in the lives of Americans and visitors from around the world?
● What are the centennial signature projects and programs that you think should be highlighted for completion over the next 10 years?
Based on these discussions, the Interior Department and National Park Service will identify signature projects and programs, set specific performance goals and report to the President by May 31.
The public also may provide comments online regarding the National Park Centennial Initiative through April 2 at the following site: www.nps.gov/2016.
WHO: Interior Department Chief of Staff Brian Waidmann; NPS Southeast Regional
Director Pat Hooks; and superintendents and staff of Everglades, Dry
Tortugas, and Biscayne National Parks and Big Cypress National Preserve
WHAT: Listening session on President Bush’s National Park Centennial Initiative
WHERE: Miami Dade College, Homestead Campus, 500 College Terrace, Homestead, Florida, Aviation Building F, 2nd Floor Room F222-F223
WHEN: Thursday, March 22, 2007, from 7:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
MEDIA: All credentialed media are invited to attend
TRANSLATION AVAILABLE: Spanish and Sign language for the hearing Impaired
Updated Directions To Listening Session
Directions from Fort Lauderdale, FL
Drive: 28.5 mi (about 37 minutes)
Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 7 minutes
Total Est. Distance: 59.76 miles
1. Start out going SOUTHWEST on TERMINAL DR. 0.7 miles
2. Merge onto N FEDERAL HWY / US-1 S / FL-5 S / FL-A1A S toward DANIA BEACH / HOLLYWOOD. 0.6 miles
3. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto GRIFFIN RD / FL-818 W. Continue to follow FL-818 W. 4.6 miles
4. Turn LEFT to take the FLORIDA'S TPKE SOUTH ramp. 0.4 miles
5. Merge onto FLORIDA'S TURNPIKE S (Portions toll). 5.8 miles
6. Keep RIGHT to take FLORIDA'S TURNPIKE S / FL-821 S toward HOMESTEAD (Portions toll). 44.8 miles
7. Take the CAMPBELL DR exit- EXIT 2- toward HOMESTEAD. 0.2 miles
8. Turn LEFT onto SW 312TH ST / CAMPBELL DR. 1.9 miles
9. Turn LEFT onto ENGLISH AVE. 0.2 miles
10. Turn SHARP LEFT onto PARK PL. <0.1 miles
11. End at 500 College Terrace, Homestead, FL 33030-6009, US
Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 7 minutes , Total Est. Distance: 59.76 miles
From: Key Largo, FL 33037
1. Start out going SOUTHWEST on OVERSEAS HWY / US-1 S / FL-5 S toward DOLPHIN AVE. <0.1 miles
2. Make a U-TURN at DOLPHIN AVE onto US-1 N. 25.4 miles
3. Turn SHARP LEFT onto E MOWRY DR / NE 2ND DR / SW 320TH ST. Continue to follow NE 2ND DR. 0.2 miles
4. NE 2ND DR becomes CIVIC CT. 0.1 miles
5. Turn RIGHT onto PARK PL. <0.1 miles
6. End at [500-599] College Terrace, Homestead, FL 33030, US
Total Est. Time: 36 minutes, Total Est. Distance: 25.99 miles