Filming Permits

Park Scientist being interviewed by Documentary Film Operation
Beautiful backgrounds and interesting stories bring film companies often come to Everglades National Park for in depth information on natural and cultural resources as well as great Visitor Experience images

The vast, unspoiled panorama of Everglades National Park and the pristine marine environment of Dry Tortugas National Park (with historic Fort Jefferson) offer photographers and filmmakers unique opportunities for capturing the natural world on film. However, the Congressional acts establishing these parks places a two-fold responsibility upon the National Park Service to protect the natural and cultural resources and to provide for the visitors' enjoyment of them.

Commercial Filming

Commercial filming operations may be permitted, however there are restraints on these activities to ensure the resources are protected and visitors are not unduly affected. (Public Law 106-206 outlines commercial filming permit requirements as well as location fee and cost recovery criteria. In addition, there is a $200 non-refundable application fee to cover the cost of processing your permit request. This covers the average time it takes to issue a permit, there may be additional per hour charges for complex applications.

Prior approval from the Superintendent, in the form of a film permit, is required before any work can commence. All filming activities must be in compliance with the general regulations for Everglades
National Park and Dry Tortugas National Park.

News Gathering

News gathering activities may require a permit if the activities are of such size and scope that a permit would help manage the activity to minimize possible damage to park resources and visitor use conflicts or authorize entrance into a closed area.

Even when the above circumstances are present, permits will be required only if there is sufficient time to issue the permit without impeding the crew’s ability to gather the news. If there is not sufficient time to issue a permit, visitor and resource protection will be managed verbally in the field. There are no cost recovery charges or location fees for permits issued for news gathering activities.

News Gathering activities are coordinated through the Public Affairs Office at Everglades National Park (305-242-7714) or email.

Commercial Filming activities are coordinated through the Chief Ranger's Office at Everglades National Park, (telephone 305-242-7042). You may contact the Film Permit officer through this e-mail if you have

We highly recommend planning in advance and suggest you submit your film permit applications for at least two weeks in advance. The application form is available in the weblink below and may be faxed to (305)

Location Fee Schedule

Motion Pictures/Videos

Still Photography

1 – 2 people, camera and tripod only


1 - 10 people


1 - 10 people


11 - 30 people


11 - 30 people


31 - 49 people


Over 30 people


Over 50 people


Who Needs a Permit:

  • Commercial filming - digital or film recording of a visual image or sound recording by a person, business, or other entity for a market audience, such as a documentary, television or feature film, advertisement, or similar project.
  • Commercial still photography using models, sets or props
  • Sound recording projects that require more than handheld equipment, more than one person or NPS oversight.
  • Use of large or unusual equipment, even for non-commercial purposes if activities warrant NPS oversight

Permits are NOT Generally Required when:

  • Visitors are engaged in filming/photography intended for their personal use and enjoyment.
  • Filming for a News organization.

The first form (10-931) will cover most filming projects. The longer form (10-932) would be required if your project has 10 or more crew members or potential for resource impacts and increased access to areas of the park not open to the general public that requires NPS staff to monitor. If you are uncertain which form to complete, the film permit office (305-242-7734) or public affairs (305-242-7714) could help determine which form is appropriate for your project.

Commercial Filming and Still Photography 10-932

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

40001 State Road 9336
Homestead, FL 33034


(305) 242-7700
Main Everglades National Park Phone and Fax

Contact Us