Review Design Standards General Statements before utilizing this web page.
- International Building Code (IBC) 2015, Including Appendices
- International Existing Building Code (IEBC) 2015, Including Appendices
- NFPA National Fire Codes, Including Annexes (except NFPA 5000) effective 1-11-2016
- A Code Analysis is required and shall be based on NFPA 1 (Fire Code), NFPA 101 (Life Safety Code), and the I codes. Other applicable NFPA Codes and Standards shall be identified in the Analysis. The Code Analysis shall include, but not be limited to, the following elements:
- Project Description
- Occupancy Classification
- Decorative Structures
- Design - Unique Aspects
- Interior Wall
- Fire Alarm
- Communication System
- Fire Department Access
- Fire Resistive Separations
- Smoke Management Description
- Suppression Systems
- Wet pipe sprinkler systems are preferred.
- A double check backflow preventer is required on sprinkler systems.
- Sprinkler control valves shall be electrically supervised.
- Allowed sprinkler piping shall be Copper, Schedule 40 steel, or plastic.
- Dry Pipe and PreAction Systems
- Joints shall be threaded or cut groove (no roll groove).
- All pendent heads shall be dry pendants.
- All piping shall be sloped to drain to the main riser.
- Low point drains shall be minimized and shall be configured as drum drips.
- Code Equivalencies are encouraged. They need to be prepared by the Architect-Engineer (AE) for approval by the Regional Fire Marshal (Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ)).
- Fire modeling is encouraged to allow equivalent fire and life safety systems, especially in historical structures.
- Systems should strive to minimize required (NFPA 25) Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance.
- Gravity water supply systems are preferred. Next are combined fire and domestic systems using commercial pumps and least preferred are dedicated fire pumps.
NPS Management Policies 2006 - The Guide to Managing the National Park System
- Chapter 5 Cultural Resource Management
- Chapter 9 Park Facilities
Director's Orders (DOs)
- RM 58: Structural Fire Management