Building Codes & Industry Standards
Projects with PreDesign (PD) Starting October 1, 2018 or Later
- IBC 2018, with Appendices (International Building Code)
- IEBC 2018, with Appendices (International Existing Building Cod
All Other Projects
- Use the I codes edition established in PreDesign.
Denver Service Center (DSC) Requirements
- A Code Analysis is required and shall be based on I codes and applicable NFPA Standards (National Fire Protection Association). The Code Analysis shall include, but not be limited to, the following elements:
- Project Description
- Occupancy Classification
- Decorative Structures
- Design - Unique Aspects
- Interior Wall
- Fire Alarm
- Communication System
- Fire Department Access
- Fire Resistive Separations
- Smoke Management Description
- Suppression Systems
- Wet pipe sprinkler systems are preferred.
- A double check backflow preventer is required on sprinkler systems.
- Sprinkler control valves shall be electrically supervised.
- Allowed sprinkler piping shall be Copper, Schedule 40 steel, or plastic.
- Dry Pipe and PreAction Systems
- Joints shall be threaded or cut groove (no roll groove).
- All pendent heads shall be dry pendants.
- All piping shall be sloped to drain to the main riser.
- Low point drains shall be minimized and shall be configured as drum drips.
- Code Equivalencies are encouraged. Prepared by the Architect-Engineer (AE) for approval by the Regional Fire Marshal (Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ)).
- Fire modeling is encouraged to allow equivalent fire and life safety systems, especially in historical structures.
- Systems should strive to minimize required inspection, testing, and maintenance.
- Gravity water supply systems preferred. Or use combined fire and domestic systems with commercial pumps. Least preferred are dedicated fire pumps.
National Park Service (NPS) Requirements
NPS Management Policies 2006 - The Guide to Managing the National Park System
- Chapter 5 Cultural Resource Management
- Chapter 9 Park Facilities
Director's Orders (DOs)
Handbooks, Reference Manuals (RMs), Strategies, Plans, & other Professional Materials
- RM 58: Structural Fire Management
- USC (United States Code)