Review Design Standards General Statements before utilizing this web page.
- EIA/TIA Standards 568 & 569
- IEEE - Standards
- IESNA 10th Edition Illuminating Engineers Society of North America
- NESC National Electrical Safety Code 2012
- NFPA Codes and Standards - see Fire Protection Engineering Standards
- UL - Underwriters Laboratories
- Site specific, in general Schedule 40 PVC for underground.
- Minimum branch circuit conduit size = 3/4".
- Provide conduit for all wiring (minimum size 3/4").
- The use of non-metallic conduit or tubing is not allowed in interior dry locations unless required by code.
- A separate equipment grounding conductor, sized per NEC requirements, shall be routed in all conduits.
Equipment and Materials
- Listed and labeled as defined in NEC Article 100 for application.
- NEC 2014
- 25% minimum spare capacity typical for future expansion.
- Fully rated - Series rated is not desired.
- Breakers preferred for reset capability (sizes 15 amperes or greater).
- Fuse selection shall comply with NEC requirements and equipment manufacturers recommendations.
- THWN / THHN
- Underground - THWN / XHHW
- No MC or AC type cabling in walls in new construction.
- No surface mounted MC or AC type cabling where rigid raceway can be used.
- Copper conductors
- Copper Buswork
- EIA/TIA Standards, see above.
- Cat 6 Cabling - (2) per 3/4" conduit; (1) Data, (1) Voice per each voice / data outlet (typical). Terminate all conductors.
- Telephone Service Entrance (Demarcation Point) - Meet local phone company requirements.
- A/E shall query Park for any additional IT, telecom or data system requirements.
- Coordinate with utility companies as early as possible.
- Underground distribution as much as possible.
- NPS prefers not to own and operate utilities.
- TVSS Protection on all Service Entrances.
NPS Management Policies 2006 - The Guide to Managing the National Park System
- Chapter 1 The Foundation
- Chapter 4 Natural Resource Management
- Chapter 8 Use of the Parks
- Chapter 9 Park Facilities
- 9.1 General
- 9.1.1 Facility Planning and Design
- 18.104.22.168 Life-cycle Costs
- 22.214.171.124 Integration of Facilities into the Park Environment
- 126.96.36.199 Protection of Cultural Values
- 188.8.131.52 Adaptive Use
- 184.108.40.206 Siting Facilities to Avoid Natural Hazards
- 220.127.116.11 Sustainable Energy Design
- 9.1.3 Construction
- 18.104.22.168 Construction Sites
- 9.1.4 Maintenance
- 22.214.171.124 General
- 126.96.36.199 Acquisition of Environmentally Preferable and Energy-Efficient Products
- 9.1.5 Utilities
- 188.8.131.52 Water Supply Systems
- 184.108.40.206 Wastewater Treatment Systems
- 220.127.116.11 Utility Lines
- 18.104.22.168 Historic Utilities
- 9.1.7 Energy Management
- 9.1.8 Structural Fire Protection and Suppression
- 9.3 Visitor Facilities
- 9.4 Management Facilities
Director's Orders (DOs)
- DO 15: NPS Frequency Management Guidance for Radio Communications, Electronics, and Wireless Systems
- DO 58: Structural Fire Management (pdf)
- Metering of Water and Energy Use - New Construction (pdf)
- RM 58: Structural Fire Management