Special Use Permits (SUP)

A Special Use Permit (SUP) is required for activities that provide a benefit to an individual, group, or organization, rather than the public at large, and that require some degree of management from the National Park Service in order to protect park resources and the public interest.

Activities in Death Valley National Park that need a SUP permit include, but are not limited to:

  • Weddings and Ceremonies
  • First Amendment Activities (webpage with more information)
  • Bicycle and Running Events. All sporting events must abide by the timeline stated in the Safety Assessment. Please note that this means a sporting event application must be received a minimum of 120 days in advance of the requested date.
  • Ash Scattering
  • Vehicle Testing (webpage with more information)

Processing your application will take between 30-60 days (bicycle and running events will take 120 days), please keep this in mind when planning your event. URGENT requests cannot be accommodated, however, submitting a complete permit package will help in expediting your permitting process. Please submit the following three items for a complete request:

Application Process:

  1. Application:
  2. Application processing fee of $300.00. This fee is non-refundable. We prefer payment by credit card.The permit application fee is waived on first amendment activity SUP application.To pay by credit card submit the application and a request to pay by credit card to deva_permits@nps.gov. We will then provide you instructions on how to make your payment. You can pay by check if necessary. If paying by check please make it out to ‘National Park Service’ and send it in with your application.
  3. Liability Insurance Certificate in the amount of $1,000,000 listing the United States as additional insured. The insurance must be negotiable in US funds.

Last updated: January 8, 2022

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 579
Death Valley , CA 92328


760 786-3200

Contact Us

Stay Connected