The following commercial activities are authorized in Death Valley National Park and will require a commercial use authorization. Below are links to the conditions of each type of activity:
- Photography & Arts Workshops
- Hiking Tours
- Horse & Pack Animal Trips
- Backcountry Camping
- Frontcountry Camping
- Bicycle Trip & Aid Stations - New in 2016, chose aid stations from list
- Guided Motor Vehicle Tours - New in 2016, covers 4x4 and motorcycle tours.
- Step-On Guide - New in 2014 this permit allows the Holder to conduct tour guiding services for bus companies and private individuals or organizations. This activity will most often take place on a Commercial Bus Tour but the guide will not be the driver of the bus.
- Commercial Bus Tours - A Commercial Bus Tour is defined as a transportation tour that "consists of one or more persons traveling on an itinerary that has been packaged, priced, or sold for leisure/recreational purposes by an organization that realizes financial gain through the provision of this service." The Commercial Bus permit holder owns the vehicle used for this purpose.
(If your service/activity is not listed above, please contact the Office of Special Park Use.)
Applications for Commercial Use Authorizations are currently being accepted. Please do not use forms, instructions or checklists from previous years. Download the items listed below and use the Application Checklist to make sure you have everything to provide a complete application package for your 2016 CUA activities. It is our preference that you send this package via e-mail. If you are not able to do that you can mail your application to the address below but the processing of your application may require more time. When we receive your package we will notify you via e-mail within 3 days that it has been received. Your application will then be processed in the order it was received. Due to staffing shortages application processing may take longer than in previous years, please be patient and plan on at least 60 days for processing. If you have not received an e-mail notifying you of receipt of your package within 2 weeks, please contact our office.
Office of Special Park Use
Death Valley National Park
PO Box 579
Death Valley, CA 92328
760-786-3241 or 760-786-3236
The following items should be included in a complete application package:
- Application Form & Instructions
- Proof of Payment of or check for $210 application processing fee
- Commercial Operating Plan or Special Use Operating Plan
- Certificate of General Liability Insurance *
- First Aid / CPR, Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First Aid Certificate **
- Leave No Trace & Entrance Fee Certification (LNT)
Year end-Report ****
Supplemental Activity Report If you add activities during the calendar year submit this form to the Office of Special Park Use at least 7 days prior to your visit.
* Certificate of insurance must list the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA as additional insured. General Liability coverage must be for a minimum of $1,000,000 USD and the certificate must be written in English.
** First aid / CPR, wilderness first responder or wilderness first aid certificates depend on the type of activity you are doing and where it is takes place. See the conditions for each type of activity in the links above.
*** Each trip leader must have an addendum in their name attached to the umbrella permit. When submitting an addendum to us for signature it must be accompanied by the applicable medical certifications and signed LNT for each trip leader.The addendum must be fully executed and the process generally takes one to two weeks.
**** Previous year CUA holders are required to submit a Year end-Report which is due when all trips have been completed but no later than January 15, of the following year. Gross receipts must be reported accurately. Reports can be returned the application package or e-mailed to: e-mail us
***** No acknowledgement of risk form is required by the National Park, HOWEVER, you may NOT use any waiver of liability when providing services to visitors in Death Valley. This form is provided for your use should you choose to have your clients sign it. It has been prepared by our legal team and the language cannot be altered or deleted, you may only fill in the blanks with the appropriate information regarding your activity.