Devils Tower Changes Entrance Fee to Address Infrastructure Needs & Improve Visitor Experience

Devils Tower Changes Entrance Fee to Address Infrastructure Needs & Improve Visitor Experience

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
News Release Date: April 18, 2018

Contact: Nancy Stimson, 307 467 5283

Devils Tower, WY

The National Park Service announced today Devils Tower National Monument will modify its entrance fees to provide additional funding for infrastructure and maintenance needs to enhance the visitor experience. Effective January 1, 2019 the entrance fees to the park will be $25 per vehicle or $20 per motorcycle. An annual park pass will cost $45. All of the money received from entrance fees remains with the National Park Service with at least 80 percent of the revenue going to Devils Tower National Monument.

Revenue from entrance fees remains in the National Park Service and helps ensure a quality experience for all who visit. Here in Devils Tower, at least 80 percent of entrance fees stay in the park and are devoted to spending that supports the visitor. We share the other 20 percent of entry fee income with other national parks for their projects.

In response to public comments on a fee proposal released in October 2017, there will be a modest increase for all entrance fee-charging parks, rather than the higher peak-season fees initially proposed only for 17 highly-visited national parks.

The price will remain unchanged for the America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Annual Pass ($80). Military and Access Passes will remain free. All passes may be obtained at the monument entrance station. Questions concerning the passes may be directed to the monument fee supervisor at (307) 467-5283 x 741.
Revenue from entrance fees at Devils Tower have supported a wide range of projects which improve visitor experiences including trail maintenance, replacing flooring in historic structures, replacing campground fire grates and water hydrants, addressing traffic congestion and parking issues, and the monitoring/suppression of Mountain Pine Beetle, Entrance fees are not charged to persons under 16 years old, or holders of Senior, Access, or Military passes. These passes may be acquired at the park or online.
An NPS report shows that 498,000 visitors to Devils Tower National Monument in 2016 spent $39,646,100 in communities near the monument. That spending supported 500 jobs related to tourism.
National parks have experienced record breaking visitation, with more than 1.5 billion visitors in the last five years. Throughout the country, the combination of an aging infrastructure and increased visitation has put a strain on park roads, bridges, campgrounds, waterlines, bathrooms, and other visitor services and led to a $11.6 billion deferred maintenance backlog nationwide.

The current rate of $20 per vehicle or $15 per motorcycle has been in effect since January 2, 2018.  Devils Tower is one of 117 National Park Service sites that charge an entrance fee, the other 300 national parks will remain free to enter.

The National Park Service has a standardized entrance fee structure, composed of four groups based on park size and type. The complete fee schedule will change according to the following:
 
Devils Tower National Monument
  Seven-Day
Vehicle Pass
Person
Pass
Motorcycle Pass Devils Tower Annual Pass
Current $20 $10 $15 $40
January 1, 2019 $25 $15 $20 $45

To learn more about Devils Tower National Monument visit www.nps.gov/deto or www.facebook.com/Devils-Tower-National-Monument-Official-NPS-Site or twitter.com@DevilsTowerNM or Instagram at #devilstowernps
~nps.gov~
 
About the National Park Service: More than 20,000 National Park Service employees care for America’s 417 national parks system and work with communities across the nation to help preserve local history and create close-to-home recreational opportunities. Visit us at www.nps.gov, on Facebook www.facebook.com/nationalparkservice, Twitter www.twitter.com/nationalparkservice, and You Tube  www.youtube.com/nationalparkservce.



Last updated: April 18, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

PO Box 10
Devils Tower, WY 82714

Phone:

(307) 467-5283 x635
Devils Tower National Monument Phone Number

Contact Us