News Release

Black Canyon and Curecanti fees will increase in January 2024

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: November 29, 2023

GUNNISON, Colo. – Beginning January 1, 2024, Black Canyon National Park and Curecanti National Recreation Area will increase camping and boat launch fees. Campground fees have remained unchanged since before 2016, while boat launch fees have not changed since at least 2003. The new pricing structure will bring the parks into closer alignment with nearby and comparable campground and boating services. The increased fees will provide additional revenue to fund operations and deferred maintenance projects.

Fee Schedule Effective January 1, 2024

Curecanti Boat Launch Permits  
Seasonal Permit $40.00
Seven-day Permit $20.00
Curecanti Camping Fees    
Stevens Creek, Ponderosa, Dry Gulch, Red Creek, and East Portal Campgrounds   $20.00  
Elk Creek, Lake Fork, and Cimarron Campgrounds $24.00  
Electric sites at Loop D in Elk Creek Campgrounds $34.00
Black Canyon Camping Fees    
North Rim Campground   $20.00  
South Rim Campground Loops A and C   $20.00  
South Rim Campground Loop B   $34.00  

While basic park operations are funded by Congressional appropriations, the recreation use fees collected by the parks support new projects and the ongoing maintenance of park facilities that directly enhance the visitor experience. Changes to the fees reflect rates comparable to local sites with similar amenities and help offset the rising costs of operations. The fee generated will be used for improvements to services for visitors in the parks.

The 30-day public comment period on the fee changes occurred in August through the Planning, Environment, and Public Comment (PEPC) website at The public comment period was part of the planning and compliance process that provides the park valuable information and feedback on preferences from the public. This news release is part of the 30-day notice of the proposed changes to occur.

Camping and boating fees are authorized under the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (FLREA). This law allows parks to retain 80 percent of the fees collected for use on projects that directly benefit visitors. The remaining 20 percent is distributed throughout the National Park System. Recent projects completed at Black Canyon and Curecanti using FLREA funds include rehabilitation of trails, upgrading a campground amphitheater, and improvements to the Elk Creek Boat Launch and marina systems. Future funds will continue to support facility operations and assist with additional visitor services such as improvements to interpretive exhibits, increased ranger programming, and ability to purchase park maps for visitor enjoyment.

In 2022, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park and Curecanti National Recreation Area visitors spent an estimated $70.2 million in local gateway regions while visiting Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park and Curecanti National Recreation Area. These expenditures supported a total of 799 jobs and $85.9 million in economic output in local gateway economies surrounding Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park and Curecanti Recreation Area.

More information about camping and recreational opportunities at both parks can be found at and


About the National Park Service: More than 20,000 National Park Service employees care for America’s 423 national parks and work with communities across the nation to help preserve natural resources, local history, and create close-to-home recreational opportunities. Learn more at

Last updated: November 29, 2023

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

102 Elk Creek
Gunnison, CO 81230


970 641-2337 x205

Contact Us