Special Use Permits

Cumberland Island National Seashore is home to many beautiful cultural and natural settings which are ideal venues for a variety of special activities such as special events, wedding ceremonies, and film and photography projects.

Most special events and activities held in the park require a special use permit, issued only after the National Park Service (NPS) determines that the activities involved will not impair park values and resources. Please note that there are usage limits for the number of people for any special activity.

To apply for a special use permit, download a Special Use Permit application.

Return completed applications to:

Cumberland Island National Seashore
Attn: Special Use Permits
101 Wheeler Street
St Marys, GA 31558

Special instructions are listed on the application form. Please read carefully. Applicants will be invoiced a a non-refundable application fee of $50.

Special Events

A special use permit is required for activities that provide a benefit to an individual, group, or organization rather than the public at large and that require some degree of management from the National Park Service to protect park resources and the public interest. Some examples of special events that require permits are:

  • non-competitive sporting events
  • public spectator attractions
  • festivals
  • concerts
  • ceremonies
  • cultural programs


A photography/filming permit is required for any filming or photography involving models, sets, or props. For more information about photography and filming permits, including restrictions and application procedures, see Photography and Filming.


Many of the Park's settings are ideally suited for small, informal weddings. All weddings require an approved wedding special use permit.

First Amendment Activities

Freedom of speech, press, religion, and assembly are constitutional rights. However, the courts have recognized that activities associated with the exercise of these rights may be reasonably regulated to protect park resources. Therefore, all first amendment activities require special use permits and the NPS may regulate the time, place, and manner in which they are conducted. Some examples of special events that require permits are: distribution and/or sale of printed matter religious services public demonstrations or assemblies, etc. collecting signature for petitions.

Miscellaneous Activities

Other activities may require permits if there is the potential for interference with visitor use, congestion of a highly visited area, or possible impact on park resources.

Last updated: July 22, 2023

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

101 Wheeler St
St. Marys, GA 31558


912 882-4336

Contact Us