Craters of the Moon is a volcanic wonderland that is fun to explore. Start at the Visitor Center for informative exhibits, films and advice from staff. Below are some suggested itineraries based on the amount of time that you may have for a visit:
For Spring, Summer, & Fall activities, the following times are suggested:
- Take in the view along the scenic 7 mile loop drive.
- Hike the North Crater Flow trail, Spatter Cones and Devil's Orchard Trails.
- Hike to Big Craters from the Spatter Cones parking lot.
- Explore Indian Tunnel (Requires a free cave permit).
- Hike the Broken Top Loop or Tree Molds Trails and explore Buffalo Cave on Broken Top Loop. (Requires a free cave permit).
One Day or Longer
- Explore the Craters of the Moon Wilderness (Lava Trees and Echo Crater).