Colorado National Monument offers ranger-led field trips Tuesdays through Thursdays during the schoolyear (external link to Microsoft Bookings). Field trip experiences typically start at 10am and conclude by 1:30pm Mountain Time. In order to help quell any anxieties about the field trip from your students, you may like to schedule an in-classroom pre-visit with a ranger.
If you'd like to share your ideas for programs or activities, suggestions of things our education rangers could do that you would find helpful, or anything else, please send us an email.
Scroll down for a list of options for your field trips. If you have a topic that isn't yet represented in these options, reach out to us and we'll do our best to work with you to get a field trip that better meets your curriculum needs.
At the bottom of this page is a two-minute video you can show your learners about what to bring to prepare them for the adventure!
Heads up: Programs may be canceled due to inclement weather. In the case of a weather cancellation, we will contact you to discuss rescheduling options. If you are concerned about the weather conditions, please call us at 970-858-2835. Programs may be rescheduled to a later date; however, we cannot guarantee a reschedule date.
Planning a Ranger-Led Field Trip to the Monument
- Choose a program (below) that will fit your classroom's needs.
- Use our Microsoft Bookings calendar form (external link) to see available dates and request a time.
- Complete our Education Reservation Request Form (Sections 1, 2, and 5) and email it to us. Section 5 will allow us to provide your group an academic fee waiver if approved!
- We prefer one classroom at a time in order to engage small-group and individualized learning opportunities.
- Groups larger than 40 students will be offered programs in a station-rotation format. These occur in Devils Kitchen Picnic Area or Saddlehorn Picnic Area.
- Please maintain a ratio of close to 10:1 students to adults, including chaperones and teachers.
- Accommodations may be available for any students or adults in your group with accessibility needs. Please let us know so that we can prepare and try to provide for you.