Olmsted Island Bridge and Overlook Open Seven Days a Week

Joe Reed and Leigh Bucker at Olmsted bridge opening.
The park's civil engineer, Joe Reed, and volunteer Leigh Buckner, stand at the entrance of the re-opened Olmsted Island bridges.

NPS|Joe Reed

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
News Release Date: July 28, 2017

Contact: Pete Peterson, 301-767-3714

Potomac, MD- The Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park (C&O Canal) is pleased to announce that the Olmsted Island Trail to the Great Falls Overlook has been re-opened for access to the public seven days a week. The restoration, repair and refinishing on the bridge railing, decking and concrete foundation has been completed. The completed project now provides a safer and more reliable trail to view the Great Falls on the Potomac River. The National Park Service recognizes the value of this trail and appreciates the public’s patience while this project was completed.

For more information on the project and the Great Falls area of the park please visit our website at: https://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisit/greatfallstavernvisitorcenter.htm or visit our Facebook page. Be sure and tag your park posts on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter with #candocanal, #greatfalls and #towpath.
 
 



Last updated: July 31, 2017

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

1850 Dual Highway, Suite 100
Hagerstown, MD 21740

Phone:

(301) 739-4200

Contact Us