For an enjoyable, safe hike and for the protection of park resources, please observe these common-sense rules:
- Although hiking by yourself is enjoyable, hiking with two is always safer and more fun! Children should not be allowed to hike without adult supervision.
- Dogs are prohibited on all trails east of the Travertine Nature Center. These trails include those to Buffalo and Antelope Springs, as well as the Prairie and Tall Oaks Loops. On all other trails, pets must be leashed at all times. Please be considerate of other hikers and clean up after your pet.
- Observe all posted restrictions, such as no bikes on certain sections of the trails. Bikers should yield to hikers and use caution in areas where vision is restricted, such as around curves.
- Be a friend to the park and help us keep the park clean. Please pick up your litter and anyone else's left behind. Carry out all litter - film wrappers, soda cans, drink cups, tissue paper, etc. If you must smoke, please extinguish your cigarette butts safely, and do not leave them behind. There are plenty of trash receptacles located at trailheads and day use areas.
- Stay on the designated trails; short cuts cause damage to precious park resources.
- If you hike at night, use a flashlight to illuminate the trail and to watch for animals such as snakes and scorpions.
- Poison ivy and ticks are common in the park. Staying on designated trails can help prevent contact with these hazards. Check yourself thoroughly for ticks after your visit to the park.
- Dress appropriately for seasonal weather conditions, and bring plenty of water to drink, especially during summer months. There are no concessions or vending machines within the park.
- All plants, animals, and natural and historical resources are protected by federal law. Do not disturb or remove them.
- For specific regulations, such as fishing, camping, fires, or other questions please stop by any Ranger Station. There is also information on these activities available in our Superintendent's Compendium.
PLEASE TAKE ONLY PICTURES... AND LEAVE ONLY FOOTPRINTS.