In 1890 the United States Congress authorized Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, the first such park in the country. It was dedicated in 1895 and has since served as a model for most national military and historical parks. Today the park encompasses more than 9,000 acres of battlefields, monuments, and forests, and urban landscapes. Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park consists of six distinct places through the greater Chattanooga area.
Last updated: January 9, 2018