Capitol Reef National Park is pleased to allow weddings in the park under a special use permit. In general, the park will approve permits for small weddings in locations around the picnic area, campground, or other front-country areas. Weddings in the park are simple, rustic and no frills ceremonies in an outdoor setting. If you are looking for a place that allows chairs, music, decorations, runners, arches, tents, or other extras, this will not be your best option. Permits will not be approved for backcountry locations as per wilderness management policies.
Once your application is reviewed, the park will contact you for any clarifying information. After approval, a special use permit will be prepared and sent to you for signature. Upon receipt, please review, sign, and return the permit to our office for final approval. If your ceremony plans change, notify our office immediately. After the permit is approved we will send you an authorized copy. The approved permit must be in your possession at the time of the ceremony.
Wedding Permits are $50.00. Payment may be made through pay.gov. Do not submit payment until receiving authorization from the Park.
- Weddings or ceremonies may be scheduled up to one year in advance and no later than 7 days prior to your event.
- As parking spaces are limited in the park, carpooling or shuttling is strongly encouraged, and may be required. Trevel to and from the site must be via established trails and roads.
- Normal entrance fees apply to all vehicles associated with the ceremony.
- The number of participants may be limited to 15 to 20 persons, depending on the selected location. The maximum number allowed for any location is 100.
- Because activities may not interfere with normal visitor use of the park, duration of ceremonies is usually limited to twenty (20) minutes. Post-event activities, such as receptions, shall take place in designated picnic areas or an arranged staging area. Exclusive use of an area is not permitted. No area shall be closed to the public during the ceremony or reception.
- Areas normally closed to the public cannot be used, and certain sensitive resource zones (as identified by the park superintendent) cannot be used.
- Park visitor center, restrooms and other buildings may not be used for ceremony preparations (dressing, picture-taking, rehearsals, waiting areas, etc.) or in the event of inclement weather.
- Under the wedding special use permit, officiate and photographer hired by the permittee is included on the permit and is not required to obtain an additional permit for their services. If the officiate and photographer advertise that they offer services in the park and your booking done through them, then they need an additional permit.
- Music accompanying the event is limited to non-amplified musical instruments. Amplification of any sound before, during or after the ceremony and connection to park utilities is not permitted.
- Equipment such as tents, carpets, floral displays and generators cannot be used in the park. A few portable chairs (provided by the permittee) for the elderly is permitted.
- Throwing and scattering of rice, birdseed, flower petals or other materials, is prohibited.
- Decorations such as banners, streamers or hanging objects may not be tacked, stapled, nailed or attached to any trees, plants or park facilities.
- Leave No Trace principles and practices shall be closely adhered to for all events/ceremonies. Make sure all trash and ceremony items are picked up and packed out with you. Please respect the park's resources and tread lightly. Avoid sensitive resource areas.
- Drones are prohibited.
Special Park Uses Coordinator
HC 70 Box 15
Torrey, UT 84775