Many visitors start their visit to any national park at the visitor center. These buildings contain a wealth of information, from rangers to answer questions, to exhibits to learn more about the park, to the bookstore to buy informational material and souvenirs.
Over the decades that Capitol Reef has been part of the National Park Service, the visitor center has undergone many changes, but has always provided information and help to people.
2020/2021 Renovations and New Exhibits--In Progress
Currently the ranger desk and park bookstore are open. Rangers provide information, issue backpacking permits, and sell interagency America the Beautiful passes. The passport stamp is also available. Exhibits are under construction, and the park movie is available online only.
Mission 66 Visitor Center
Mission 66 was an initiative to make parks more accessible by the National Park Service’s 50th anniversary in 1966. Private land in the Fruita area was acquired to complete the new State Route 24 and entrance to Capitol Reef National Monument within the Fremont River corridor.
Civilian Conservation Corps Ranger Station
Even though Capitol Reef became a national monument in 1937, there were no official park buildings until 1940, when the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the first ranger station from sandstone quarried near Chimney Rock. It is a classic example of the rustic style of architecture produced by the NPS during the Great Depression.
Last updated: July 19, 2021