Academic River Trips

Academic institutions wishing to do either flatwater or whitewater trips may do so under a Special Use Permit from Canyonlands National Park. Read more about Special Use Permits.

Special Use Permits

To qualify for a Special Use Permit you must:

  1. Meet the criteria for an Academic Fee Waiver. You must submit a current, approved academic fee waiver with your special use permit application. This waiver applies to park entrance fees, but not other permit fees.
  2. Meet current Utah Department of Natural Resources (DNR) requirements for academic/school trips. Utah DNR has determined that schools operating on waterways are defined as commercial boating. Read more about Utah commercial boating requirements.

River Permits

You will need to secure a backcountry river permit from the Canyonlands Reservation Office. Fees apply.


When you submit your application, you will pay the special use application fee ($100) and the administration fee ($80). You will not have to pay a monitoring fee. River permit fees will also apply; you can pay these through the backcountry office.

How to Apply

  1. Complete Form 10-930 [826k Word document].
  2. Attach:
    • the Academic Waiver;
    • Proof of liability insurance naming United States Government, National Park Service, 2282 SW Resource Blvd, Moab, Utah 84532 as additionally insured; and
    • Utah State Outfitter Registration
    • First Aid and CPR certification
  3. Mail the above documents along with a check or money order for your application made out to National Park Service to:

Special Park Use Coordinator
Southeast Utah Group
2282 Resource Blvd.
Moab, Utah 84532

We handle all applications in the order they are received. We can process most requests in 15 business days. We cannot process incomplete application packages. For questions or additional information, please contact the Special Park Uses Coordinator at 435-719-2123 or email us.

Last updated: February 22, 2019

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

2282 Resource Blvd.
Moab, UT 84532



Contact Us