|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Cyndy Holda, 252-473-2111 Ext. 148
As the Bodie Island Lighthouse restoration project progresses, the National Park Service will provide periodic updates. This week many park visitors and community members noticed the elaborate and impressive exterior scaffolding which surrounds the beacon from top to bottom. Despite inclement weather conditions, the exterior scaffolding work is 98% complete and installation of the interior scaffolding has begun.
The work is being accomplished by restoration contractors, Progressive Contracting Company, LLC from Edenton, NC, United Builders Group, LLC from New Bern, NC and the metal restoration work will be handled by Enberg Mold and Tool from Jacksonville, FL.
Work accomplished to date includes:
- Exterior scaffolding erection is 98% complete
- Documentation of existing windows that will require repair
- Work with the negative air contractor to put a system in place while the work is conducted
- Metal patterns being made and molded
- Temporary shed structure at Oil House 50% complete
- Interior scaffolding started
- Temporary interior floor protection installed
The contractors conduct safety meetings every morning and then work begins for another day in a truly unique work environment. For more information on this project, contact the Public Affairs Office at 252-473-2111 ext. 148.