|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Outer Banks Group, 252-473-2111
National Park Service Announces Fall Program Schedule
National Park Service Outer Banks Group (Fort Raleigh National Historic Site, Wright Brothers National Memorial and Cape Hatteras National Seashore) fall program season will run from Sunday, August 19 through Monday, October 8, 2012.A variety of programs are offered--all programs are free.
Wright Brothers National Memorial:
- Daily, 10 am, 12 pm, 2 pm, 4 pm - Flight Room Talk: Learn about the Wrights and how they developed the first successful airplane. See a demonstration of their control system on a reproduction of the 1903 Flyer. Flight Room Auditorium (25 min)
- Daily, 11 am, 1 pm, & 3 pm - Park Movie, Kitty Hawk - The Wright Brothers' Journey of Invention: Learn more about what happened in 1903. First Flight Pavilion Auditorium (20 min).
Fort Raleigh National Historic Site:
- Mon through Fri, 11 am & 2 pm - The Lost Colony?: Join us as we explore the history and mystery surrounding England's first attempt to colonize the New World.Meet at the Earthen Fort (25 min)
- Daily, every half-hour:Park Movie, Roanoke The Lost Colony: Learn more about the Lost Colony. Visitor Center Auditorium (17 min).
Cape Hatteras National Seashore:
- Tues through Sat, 11 am - Sentinel of the Shore: Join a park ranger to learn about the legacy of the Lighthouses of the Outer Banks! Bodie Island Visitor Center (30 min)
- Thurs & Fri, 2 pm - Beach Walk: Join a park ranger for a walk along Coquina Beach. Learn the story of the beaches of the outer banks and the things we find upon them!Coquina Beach Bath House (30 min).
- Daily, 10 am - Barrier Island Nature: How do we protect unique seashore resources such as nesting shorebirds and sea turtles and their precious habitats? Check at the visitor center to learn the topic of the day. Visitor Center Pavilion (30 min)
- Mon, Wed & Fri, 11 am - Especially for Kids: Join a Ranger and learn about Cape Hatteras kids style!! Topics vary. Visitor Center Pavilion (30 min)
- Daily, 3 pm - Sentinel of the Shore: Learn about the rich history of, and future plans for, the park's majestic lighthouses. Visitor Center Pavilion (30 min).
- Sun, Wed & Fri, 2 pm - Barrier Island Nature: Sea turtles, shorebirds, seashells and shoreline migration. Join a ranger for a talk about the wild side of the Outer Banks. Topics will vary daily. Ocracoke Visitor Center (30 min)
- Thurs & Sat, 2 pm - Ocracoke History: Come find out more about the Ocracoke Island and its people. Ocracoke Visitor Center (30 min)
- Thurs, 10 am - Bird Walk: Beginner and experienced birders welcomed.We have binoculars if you don't have your own.Meet at the parking lot next to the Hatteras Ferry Dock (1 hr)
- Fri, 10 am - Banker Ponies:Learn more about the ponies' mysterious origins, unique physical attributes, and survival skills (30 min).
By attending programs and completing a workbook, kids can become Junior Rangers.Booklets are free and available at each National Park Service visitor center.