Last updated: January 27, 2017
An interesting color palette greeted visitors to Cape Hatteras National Seashore in the 1950s and 1960s. National Park Service buildings on the Seashore were painted in popular pastel colors of the time. Believe it or not, the Bodie Island Keepers' Quarters and Buxton Principal Keeper's Quarters were both painted pink and the Buxton Double Keepers' Quarters was painted blue! The first Ocracoke Visitor Center along the docks at Silver Lake was a mix of pink, blue, and yellow!
A couple of period postcards and some slides taken by park naturalist Verde Watson are shown below.
Bodie Island Lighthouse - 1959
Coquina Day Use Area
Cape Hatteras Light Station
Colorful Keepers' Quarters in Buxton
Ocracoke Visitor Center
Jami Lanier, Park Historian