Photos of the Week
On the morning of March 1st, U.S. Coast Guard Station Oregon Inlet responded to a grounded fishing vessel, located between Oregon Inlet and ORV Ramp 4 off Bodie Island. The crew of the 72-foot scallop boat were safely removed by an air crew from U.S. Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City. Until the vessel is towed away, it can be easily spotted from the beach, the Basnight Bridge, and NC-12 near the Oregon Inlet Campground and Oregon Inlet Fishing Center.
View of the grounded vessel through a spotting scope on March 1. NPS photo.
View of the grounded scallop boat the morning of March 2. In this photo the vessel is located approximately a half mile south of ORV Ramp 4. NPS photo.
View of the grounded vessel this morning. NPS photo.
- Beach visitors are encouraged to sign up for beach safety text messages by texting “Join OBXBeachConditions” to 30890. Visit Love the Beach, Respect the Ocean for important beach and ocean safety information.
- For current beach access information, go to: http://go.nps.gov/beachaccess.
- Tideland Electric Membership Corporation (EMC) completed the installation of underground cable along Pole Road yesterday. The installation of the cable was part of a project to improve the reliability of electric service to Ocracoke Island. Work is now underway to terminate and prepare the cable for splicing. If all goes as planned, the overhead power line and poles will be removed at the end of the month.
Cross section of the cable that will send electricity and internet to the island. The cable weighs 17 pounds per foot. Tideland EMC photo.
Community Discussion – Hatteras Island [Facebook Event]
- Date: March 10 from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Location: Fessenden Center Annex, 47017 Buxton Back Road, Buxton
- Description: Superintendent Hallac invites the public to visit with staff and watch a presentation on visitation patterns and park activities during the 2019 season. A question and answer session will follow the presentation.
- Date: April 10
- Description: The opening day of the 2020 camping season at Cape Point, Frisco, and Ocracoke campgrounds is Friday, April 10. Reservations can be made at www.recreation.gov. The Oregon Inlet Campground is currently open thanks to upgraded electric and water hookups at 47 camping sites. [News Release]