|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Sandra Snell-Dobert, 970-641-2337, ext. 227
Following safe guidance regarding COVID-19, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park will offer only limited services this winter. Ranger-led snowshoe tours are cancelled, and the park will not be able to loan snowshoes to individuals.
Visitors are encouraged to rent or purchase any needed equipment, such as cross-country skis, snowshoes, or traction devices for boots, in local establishments prior to arrival at Black Canyon.
With public health in mind, there is only a small walk-in area for information at the South Rim Visitor Center. The building is not able to function as a warming hut this winter. Please plan accordingly.
As a reminder, the following facilities and services are currently available at Black Canyon:
* South Rim Drive, open to cars as far as the Visitor Center
* Information available at the Visitor Center from 9am-4pm daily (exhibits closed)
* Western National Parks Association (WNPA) bookstore open 9am-4pm daily
* Day hiking / snowshoeing on Oak Flat and Rim Rock Trails
* Inner Canyon Routes – permit required – weather dependent
Please practice Leave No Trace principles, avoid crowding, and recreate responsibly. Per the Governor’s public health order, face coverings are required inside buildings.
Last updated: December 3, 2020