|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Gary Bremen, 305-230-1144 x007
HOMESTEAD, Fla. --- August 25th marks the Centennial of the National Park Service, and Biscayne National Park’s year-long celebration will reach a crescendo next week. Highlights include:
• Virtual Park Circuit – August 22, 3:00 – 6:00 pm – Facebook Live Event - Biscayne National Park participates in a tour of innovation in national parks, inspired by the “Find Your Park Exchange Event” featuring Thomas Edison National Historic Site and the New York City Skyline.
• Sunrise Photography Celebration – August 25, 6:00 am – Dante Fascell Visitor Center - Celebrate the start of our second century by taking advantage of early morning opening hours! Our goal is to post 100 sunrise photos to social media outlets with the hashtag #BNP100Sunrise
• Citizenship Ceremonies – August 25, 9:00 am and 11:00 am – Dante Fascell Visitor Center - Witness 40 people becoming citizens of the United States in a place they now own. Live music, inspirational speakers and birthday cake at both ceremonies!
• Songs and Stories of Our National Parks – August 25, 1:00 pm – WLRN 91.3 Radio - Two Biscayne National Park rangers share compelling music and stories that answer the question “why do national parks matter?”
• 100th Birthday Celebration – August 25, 6:30 pm – Coral Gables Museum - Featuring birthday cake, cash bar, and socializing in the museum’s This Land is Your Land: A Second Century for America’s National Parks exhibit that features images, videos, and artifacts from the collections of South Florida’s four national parks.
• National Park Service Birthday Party – August 28, 3:00 – 8:00 pm – Dante Fascell Visitor Center - Come Find Your Park with free canoe tours, kids’ activities, a giant map of the national park system, a piñata, birthday cake, lured-up Pokéstops and extended hours at the Dante Fascell Visitor Center overlooking beautiful Biscayne Bay.
• Inside Looking Out Art Exhibit – Through September 12 – Dante Fascell Visitor Center - Thirty pieces of art created by the people who often know the parks best: employees, volunteers and partners of South Florida’s national parks.
The celebration of the National Park Service Centennial doesn’t end in August! A new art exhibit opens at Biscayne National Park in September, the Homestead Center for the Arts hosts a celebration featuring The Chance Ensemble in October, and the 17th season of the award-winning Family Fun Fest begins on December 11.
The Dante Fascell Visitor Center is located at 9700 SW 328 Street, 9 miles east of Homestead, Florida.
For more information about Biscayne National Park visit nps.gov/bisc or follow the park on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram at “biscaynenps.”
About the National Park Service. More than 20,000 National Park Service employees care for America's 412 national parks and work with communities across the nation to help preserve local history and create close-to-home recreational opportunities. Learn more at www.nps.gov.