|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Gary Bremen, 305-230-1144, x007
Are you “ocean literate?” Ocean literacy is an understanding of the ocean’s influence on you and your influence on the ocean. Biscayne National Park is 95% covered by water, so the ocean is the lifeblood of the park, but it is also the lifeblood of the planet. The March installment of the park’s popular Family Fun Fest series will take a look at the seven basic principles of ocean literacy in the fun, hands-on style that is the program’s signature. The free event takes place on Sunday, March 14, 2010 at the park's Dante Fascell Visitor Center from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Stations located around the visitor center provide a variety of interactive learning opportunities, including:
- Now You Sea It… — What everyday things would we miss if the ocean didn’t exist?
- Bella’s “Bear” Necessities — Join Britain’s ocean literacy ambassador Bella the Bear for an overview of the Seven Principles of Ocean Literacy.
- The Ocean Rocks! — How has the ocean shaped South Florida?
- Weather or Not — The ocean is a major influence on weather & climate…do you know how?
- Climate: 911! — The climate change superheroes are overwhelmed! Is there hope for Planet Earth? The finale of a four-part series!
Participants will receive a paper passport to be punched at each station as they complete the activities. Those who complete all five activities will earn a special button to help remember the day, and those who earn five buttons in a season will receive a Family Fun Fest Fanatic award in April.
Family Fun Fest takes place on the second Sunday of every month from December through April. The series is made possible through a grant from the Captain Bob Lewis Boat Center Yamaha Billfish Challenge and the Bobby Duryea Memorial Fund at the South Florida National Parks Trust. Additional support this month comes from NASA, AdventuresOfEdTheBear.blogspot.com, Biscayne Bay Aquatic Preserves and a host of dedicated volunteers.
The final Family Fun Fest event of the 2010 season takes place on April 11 with The Best Family Fun Fest EVER! The 50th Family Fun Fest features the best activities of the first 10 years…selected by YOU the participants!
The Dante Fascell Visitor Center is located at 9700 SW 328 Street, nine miles east of Homestead, Florida. Call 305-230-7275, extension 555 for more information.