Permits & Reservations

Important Information About Processing Time
Applications will be accepted up to 12 months in advance. Applications must be completed in detail and returned with permit application and non-refundable application fee from A minimum of 30 days are required to process an application and issue a permit. For more complex permits (i.e. fishing tournaments, large ceremonial gatherings, and weddings in the park) a minimum of 60 days will be required. This will allow NPS staff to prepare for the needs associated with the permit. An additional fee may required for complex permits.

Special Use Permits
A Special Use Permit (SUP) is required for activities and events that provide a benefit to individuals, groups or organizations, rather than the general public, and may require some degree of management for the Recreation Area to protect the park's resources and insure visitor safety. There are several types of SUPs:

  • For simple events (example: wedding ceremony, fishing tournaments), please fill our the Application for Special Use Permit Short Form.
  • For more complex events (example: triathlon, half marathon), please fill out the Application for Special Use Permit, Long Form.
  • For livestock trailing, please fill out the Application for Special Use Permit, Trailing Livestock.
  • Pay online through
If you are unsure which form to use, please call the SUP Coordinators office at (307) 548-5406 or email your inquiry.

Commercial Filming and Photography Permits

The National Park Service's mission is to protect its resources while providing for the enjoyment of the visitor. Consequently, the National Park Service has developed certain guidelines for the purpose of managing filming, photography and sound recordings consistent with its mission through a permit system.

Commercial Filming/Photography permits are required for those activities that generate film, photography or video production for television, motion picture industry, public or private interest. Filming or photography that requires a production crew, vehicles, broadcast equipment, props, talent/actors, construction, trailers, housing animals or aircraft will need a permit. Other activities requiring a filming permit are those that involve feature films, documentaries, shopping networks, religious telecasts, commercials, infomercials, public television presentation, produce DVD's CD's, CD-Roms, training videos, sales, education, promotions or entertainment.

Commercial still photography or projects that take place in locations where other members of the public are generally not allowed and use a model, set or prop do require a permit.

Private individuals who are engaged in photography for their own personal use and enjoyment generally do not require a commercial filming permit.

The Application for Commercial Filming Still Photography SUP - Short Form should be submitted for simple projects. For more complex projects, please submit the Application for Commercial Filming Still Photography SUP - Long Form. Both of these contain instructions and fee requirements.

Commercial Use Authorizations

The National Park Service is authorized, upon request, to issue Commercial Use Authorizations (CUA) to individuals, corporations or other business operations, to provide commercial services at the Recreation Area in limited circumstances. CUA's are NOT a Concessions Contract and are intended to provide a necessary commercial service on a limited basis. A CUA may be issued only for services

· Will have minimal impact on park resources and values;

· Are consistent with the purpose for which the Recreation Area was established, as well as all applicable management plans, policies and regulations.

Commercial uses include businesses that provide any or all goods, activities, services, agreements or other things offered to the general public which take place at least in part in the park, uses park resources, and are undertaken for or results in compensation, monetary gain, benefit or profit to an individual, organization, or corporation, whether or not such entity is organized for purposes recognized as non-profit under local, state or Federal law.

Persons or entities issued a CUA are required to provide commercial liability insurance against claims arising out of or a result of acts or omissions of the CUA operator, their employees, agents , or contractors, in carrying out the activities and operations required and/or authorized under the CUA.

Please submit a cover letter with the Commercial Use Authorization Application Form that describes the activity or activities you wish to conduct (iex: boat tours, kayak tours, or guided trail service). Electronic payment for the Commercial Use Authorization is administered through Proof of insurance and/or posting of a bond may be required. For additional information contact the CUA Coordinators office at (307) 548-5410.

NPS policy requires that an Annual Report is submitted for each year of the operation. The Annual Report only applies to those activities occurring inside the Recreation area. If you have been issued a CUA to conduct business activities that provide visitor services within Recreation Area, please complete the CUA Annual Survey.

For more information, call (307) 548-5406.

There is a non-refundable application fee of $75.00 for administrative costs for CUA permits and a $50.00 fee on SUP permits. Permits need to be paid either through check or To pay by check, submit the payment with each application form, payable to the National Park Service.

Send applications and fees to:
Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area
SUP/CUA Coordinator
20 HWY 14 A East
Lovell, WY 82431

Last updated: September 27, 2019

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area South District Visitor Center
20 US Hwy 14A

Lovell, WY 82435


(307) 548-5406

Contact Us