To minimize confrontations between boaters, vehicle campers, ranchers, Mexican military, fisherman, smugglers, and day use visitors, river trips are advised against camping in areas that are accessible by vehicle on either side of the river. Camping at these sites on the Texas side is prohibited, and is strongly discouraged on the Mexican side of the river.
These sites include the following stretches of river:
- Upstream end of the Santa Elena Canyon nature trail to a point ¾ of a mile downstream of Castolon.
- Any of the backcountry car camp sites along the river road at the river (unless a separate permit for the site has been secured).
- Within a ½ mile of the San Vicente crossing.
- From ½ mile upriver of Tornillo Creek to the downstream end of the Boquillas Canyon trail.
- The private property in the vicinity of the Adams ranch headquarters (without prior approval).
- The private property in the vicinity of Heath Canyon ranch (without prior approval).
- Any of the fish camps along the Rio Grande within the Black Gap Wildlife Management Area.
- The Mexican Hotsprings at San Rocendo canyon.
- The private boat launch at Bone Watering.
- Within a ½ mile upstream or downstream of Fosters Weir.
- Additionally any areas that appear to be inhabited or are being cultivated, or developed on either side of the river should be avoided.
Visitors should report any problems, or unusual activity to park dispatch at (432) 477-2251