Commercial Filming and Still Photography

The policy of National Park Service (NPS) is to allow commercial filming and photography when it is consistent with the protection and public enjoyment of park resources.

Commercial filming is defined as …“filming that involves the digital or film recording of a visual image or sound recording by a person, business or other entity for a market audience. This includes recordings such as those used for a documentary, television or feature film, advertisement or similar project.”
Bering Land Bridge National Preserve requires a permit for all commercial filming within the preserve to ensure protection of the preserve’s cultural, historic, and natural resources. Applicants are more likely to receive a permit if they have done prior research on the preserve. Permits are not guaranteed and you should wait for final approval before making plans for travel and accommodations.

Much of the background information you need to know can be found on the Bering Land Bridge website. You can also
e-mail us for additional information.

Do I need a commercial film permit?

You will need a permit if you answer yes to any of the following questions:
  • Is your production a documentary, feature film or television show for a market audience?
  • Are you filming to collect stock footage for a current or future documentary, feature film or television show?
  • Will your production be used to promote a business, or a commercially available product?
  • For still photography: Are you using models, props, or requesting to photograph or film in areas normally closed to the public?
If you answered yes to the questions above, please access the film application (from 10-931) below.

Deadlines for permits

To help protect park resources and to assist commercial film applicants as comprehensively as possible, permit deadlines have been established. Please note that all permit fees need to be paid and all initial paperwork completed before the permit will be considered. It is highly recommended to start the permitting process early as practical.

Permits and associated fees must be submitted at least 60 days in advance.


Location fees as well as cost of recovery fees will be charged. These fees are dependent on the size of the production and the number of days filming takes place in the preserve. Payments are accepted in the form money order or paper check. Payments can be through the mail.

Checks and Money Orders
Checks or money orders made payable to National Park Service, are accepted through the mail or in person.

  • Indicate the name of your production company.
  • Mail your payment to:
Bering Land Bridge NP – NPS
Attn: Administrative Officer
PO Box 220
Nome, AK 99762

Filming at Serpentine Hot Springs

Serpentine Hot Springs is a very popular place for both park visitors, locals and film crews. Due to limited facilities, impacts to the park visitor’s experiences and subsistence users are taken into consideration when commercial film permits are being evaluated.

Commercial Filming outside of Serpentine Hot Springs

Ninety-five percent of Bering Land Bridge National Preserve is eligible for Wilderness designation, so if your proposed production is outside of the Serpentine Hot Springs area, there is a very good chance that you will be applying to film in the Preserve’s eligible Wilderness. Commercial activities that take place in eligible Wilderness are thoroughly vetted to assure that Wilderness character and values are protected. It is highly recommended you educate yourself about Wilderness character and values as commercial activities occurring in the preserve’s eligible Wilderness are required to show that they are appropriate and necessary for the administration of the Wilderness.

We recommend that, before you consider the Bering Land Bridge eligible Wilderness as a possible location for your film project, you review "What is Wilderness?" as well as taking the "Wilderness Act of 1964" course offered through proValens learning, before submitting your application and non-refundable application fee.

Last updated: March 26, 2019

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 220

Nome, AK 99762


(800) 471-2352

Contact Us