The most current Lone Star Fire information is on InciWeb.
Check there for updates, photos, maps, and additional information.
Lone Star Fire
A lightning-ignited wildfire was reported on Saturday, August 22, at 5:15 p.m. about 3 miles south of Old Faithful in Yellowstone National Park. Currently, staff are implementing protection measures for the Old Faithful area in the event the fire moves in that direction; however, it is not burning toward Old Faithful at this time.
The Greater Yellowstone area is a fire-adapted ecosystem. Fire plays an important role in maintaining the health of this area's wildlife habitat and vegetation.
Important Things To Note:
- Campfires in the backcountry are not allowed. Read more about backcountry fire restrictions.
- Stay informed about current fire activity in Yellowstone.
- For up-to-date road information, visit go.nps.gov/YellRoads, call (307) 344-2117 for a recorded message, or sign up to receive Yellowstone road alerts on your mobile phone by texting "82190" to 888-777.
- View our park roads web page for the most up-to-date road closure information.
- Backcountry campsite and trail closures around Shoshone Lake and Lone Star Geyser are in effect. Visit the Backcountry Situation Report for details.