- Check out Operating Hours & Seasons, to see when you can visit the island.
- Check out Fees & Passes to find out what park fees you should expect and where during your visit.
- Check out Permit & Reservation if you are looking for weddings, picnics, filming, athletic events, festivals, photography, or even camping within the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
- Check out what places you can Eat & Sleep within the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
- Find out how you can better plan for your visit if you have Accessibility needs.
Plan Your Visit
Welcome to Alcatraz Island!
Part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area
Plan on spending at least a few hours on Alcatraz, exploring the exhibits, checking out the video presentations or audio tours, kids can try the Junior Ranger program, or you can even check out one of the rangers tours available that day.
The most important thing to know when planning a trip to Alcatraz is that all access to the island is through a private ferry company under contract with the National Park Service, Alcatraz Cruises LLC.
The weather on Alcatraz is unpredictable and liable to change unexpectedly, so be prepared by bringing along a light jacket or sweater no matter how nice the day starts out. The best advice is always to dress in layers. Wear rain gear during wet winter months. (Rain gear is available for purchase at the bookstores.) Wear comfortable walking shoes with grip-type soles. Avoid wearing sandals, leather-soled shoes, high heels and open-toe shoes.
Parking & Transportation
Note that there is no parking available at Alcatraz Landing.On-street parking in the Fisherman's Wharf area can be hard to find, and nearly every space has a parking meter. Most meters are time limited and unlikely to allow enough time for an Alcatraz visit.
Alcatraz Landing at Pier 33 in San Francisco is fully accessible. There is limited accessible parking at Pier 33, available on a first-come, first-served basis. Individuals need to show their permanent or temporary disabled placard at the entry of Pier 33 to utilize the accessible parking spaces.
Complimentary tickets are available for special community and youth programs. See our Community Access Program page for additional information.