Hiking Rules and Regulations
- Trail Closures are posted online, and at park visitor centers.
- Pets must be restrained on a leash no longer than six feet (1.8 m), and are not permitted on ladder trails.
- Do not feed or disturb wildlife. If your presence changes the behavior of any wild animal, you are too close.
- Bicycles and horses are not allowed on hiking trails.
- There is no backcountry camping. Fires are permitted only in designated areas.
- Swimming, wading, and pets are prohibited in public water supplies. Please respect posted regulations at lakes and ponds.
Tips and Safety
- Be careful when hiking near cliff edges.
- Carry water, at least 20 oz (.6 L), and more on warm days.
- Wear sturdy hiking shoes.
- Follow blue trail blazes and use a map.
- Do not modify or build new cairns.
- Know the difficulty level of the trail and your physical abilities and limitations.
- To buy trail maps, please visit the bookstore.
Leave No Trace
- Stay on the trail.
- Step carefully on summits.
- Bury human waste in areas without toilets.
- Carry out all trash, including toilet paper and cigarette butts.