This large earthwork complex contains a low embankment forming a small circle and an irregular circle and a square, all connected and enclosing about 121 acres. Within the enclosure is a large elliptical mound, three smaller conjoined mounds, several small mounds, and several structure outlines found through excavations. It is estimated that the large mound was originally 240 feet long, 160 feet wide, and 30 feet high.
A reconstructed mound and a portion of reconstructed wall are visible, and a portion of original wall is visible near Dill Road. Parking is only accessible at the front of the site. No restroom facilities are at this site, but there is a covered picnic shelter. Informative signs are placed throughout the earthwork. Download the site bulletin and visit Seip! The site is open daylight hours.
Did You Know?
British soldiers captured during the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812 were marched to a prisoner of war camp (Camp Bull) located between the present day Mound City Group visitor center, and the northern part of the city of Chillicothe. More...