Special Use Permits

Updated August 11, 2014

The Special Park Use Permits (SPU) authorizes activities that benefit an individual, group or organization, rather than the public at large: and that require written authorization and management control in order to protect park resources and the public interest.

Examples include weddings, scattering of ashes, commercial filming and/or photography, First Amendment activities, athletic and other special events, collecting resource materials, and commercial vehicle access to "Science City".

Applications for Special Park Use Permits MUST be received by the park no less than two weeks prior to your proposed event date. The only exception to this is for First Amendment activities. Do allow at least two days for processing of these permits.

Any commercial activity, other than commercial filming/photography, requires a Commercial Use Authorization (CUA).


Commercial Filming/Photography
A Special Use Permit is required for most commercial filming, video taping, sound recording, or still photography.

Application fee:$150.00

Details on getting a Commercial Film/Photography permit (pdf)
Application for permit: Still Photography (pdf)

Application for permit: Commercial Filming (pdf)

Scattering of Ashes
A Special Use Permit is required to scatter cremated ashes.

Application fee: $25.00.

Details on getting a permit to scatter ashes (pdf)
Application for permit: Scattering Ashes (pdf)

Wedding Ceremony
A Special Use Permit is required for all weddings, regardless of group size.

Application fee: $150.00.

Details on getting a wedding permit (pdf)
Application for wedding permit (pdf)

Commercial and Construction Vehicles
Commercial vehicles utilizing the Park Road are required to obtain a Special Use Permit pursuant to 36 CFR Part 5 Section 5.6.

Application Fee: $150.00

Special Conditions for permit
Application for permit (pdf fillable)

Original must be mailed in.

Special Park Uses

Permits are required for First Amendment activities, large group activities, and sporting events

Application fee for First Amendment: No Fee

Application fee for other SUPs: $150.00

Details for Special Park Use Permits (pdf)
Application for Permit (pdf)


Contact Information
Contact information for Special Park Uses Click Here

Did You Know?