December 6, 2013
Weather-related road and facility closures may change throughout the day. For updated road and weather information please call (865) 436-1200. Once you hear a voice, dial extension 631 for road information or extension 630 for a weather forecast.
Follow road status updates on Twitter at http://twitter.com/smokiesroadsnps. Updates are available for Newfound Gap Road (US-441), Little River Road, Laurel Creek Road, and Cades Cove Loop Road.
This webpage is updated 3-4 times a week. For the most current report, please call the number listed above or follow on Twitter.
Roads and Facilities
Temporary Closures and Construction Projects
• Old NC 284 from Big Creek to Cataloochee is closed due to ice and snow.
• Laurel Creek Road (the road leading into Cades Cove) will have one lane closures during the week of December 2-6 to clear brush and low-hanging branches from the sides of the road. Motorists may encounter brief delays.
• Gatlinburg Bypass - from November 2013 through May 2014, motorists should expect daytime single lane closures during construction work.
• Foothills Parkway (unfinished section) - the entire unfinished section between Walland and Wears Valley is now closed to all public use until 2015 due to construction.
• The Blue Ridge Parkway is a separate National Park Service unit from Great Smoky Mountains National Park. For information about parkway closures, please call (828) 298-0398 or visit the parkway's website at http://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm.
The following facilities will remain closed in 2013:
• Balsam Mountain Road
• Heintooga Ridge Road
• Abrams Creek Campground
• Balsam Mountain Campground and Picnic Area
• Look Rock Campground and Picnic Area
For information about seasonal closures during the winter months, please see:
Seasonal Road Closures
Seasonal Facility Closures
For current backcountry trail and campsite information, please call (865) 436-1297.
• Mount Le Conte Shelter
Bear Warnings - areas where bears are active. Please read What Do I Do If I See A Bear? for important safety information about bears.
• Laurel Falls Trail
• Cosby Knob Shelter
• Pecks Corner Shelter
• Backcountry Campsites 29, 113
Other Backcountry Closures
• Scott Mountain Trail is closed from campsite #6 to Schoolhouse Gap. Campsite #6 is open.
• Backcountry Campsite 11
Please note that the park's backcountry is managed as a natural area where the forces of nature determine trail conditions. The following list includes some conditions that the park is currently aware of. However, hikers may encounter trail conditions not listed below that require caution. Be prepared for swollen streams, bridge washouts, downed trees, and trail erosion when hiking in the park's backcountry.
• Boogerman/Caldwell Fork trails - several bridges are out. No schedule for repairs at this time.
• Trails throughout the park have numerous downed trees due to severe storms. Please see the list of closed trails above. Other trails may have areas that are difficult to negotiate due to downed trees.
• Boat shuttles to and from Hazel Creek when lake levels are low are from the Ollie Cove Trailhead on the Hazel Creek embayment. Ask the shuttle service about this when making a reservation to be dropped or picked up. This is due to a bridge that is out of service on Hazel Creek and adds about 1/2 mile to the hike. Ollie Cove Trail is new - trail signs are in place to direct you from the Hazel Creek Trail and Lakeshore Trail intersection to Ollie Cove Trail that is one mile east on Lakeshore Trail from Hazel Creek.
Cave and Mine Shaft Closure
Entry into all caves and mine shafts is prohibited due to concerns about the spread of white nose syndrome among bats. more