October 1, 2014
Weather-related road and facility closures may change throughout the day. For updated road and weather information please call (865) 436-1200. Once you hear a voice, dial extension 631 for road information or extension 630 for a weather forecast.
Follow road status updates on Twitter at http://twitter.com/smokiesroadsnps. Updates are available for Newfound Gap Road (US-441), Little River Road, Laurel Creek Road, and Cades Cove Loop Road.
This webpage is updated 3-4 times a week. For the most current report, please call the number listed above or follow on Twitter.
Roads and Facilities
Temporary Closures and Construction Projects
• Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail will close for the season on the evening of October 31, 2014 and will remain closed until April 30, 2015 to replace eight bridges along the roadway. The road will be closed to all public using including hiking and biking.
• Look Rock Campground and Picnic Area are closed.
• Foothills Parkway (unfinished section) - the entire unfinished section between Walland and Wears Valley is now closed to all public use until 2015 due to construction.
• The Blue Ridge Parkway is a separate National Park Service unit from Great Smoky Mountains National Park. For information about parkway closures, please call (828) 298-0398 or visit the parkway's website at http://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm.
For information about seasonal closures during the winter months, please see:
Seasonal Road Closures
Seasonal Facility Closures
For current backcountry trail and campsite information, please call (865) 436-1297.
Bear Closures - areas that are closed due to bear activity. Please read What Do I Do If I See A Bear? for important safety information about bears.
• Backcountry Campsites 18, 24, 113
• Mount Le Conte Shelter
Bear Warnings - areas where bears are active. Please read What Do I Do If I See A Bear? for important safety information about bears.
• Finley Cane Trail
• Gregory Bald Trail
• Rainbow Falls Trail
• Mollies Ridge Shelter
• Russell Field Shelter
• Spence Field Shelter
• Backcountry Campsites 13, 29, 90, 93
Other Backcountry Closures and Warnings
• Chimney Tops Trail will be closed weekly on Monday-Thursday from through December 11 for trail rehabilitation work. The trail will be open on weekends.
• Scott Mountain Trail is closed from campsite #6 to Schoolhouse Gap. Campsite #6 is open.
• Backcountry Campsite 11 is closed
• Backcountry Campsite 16 - the water source is dry. Pack in additional water if planning to camp here.
Please note that the park's backcountry is managed as a natural area where the forces of nature determine trail conditions. The following list includes some conditions that the park is currently aware of. However, hikers may encounter trail conditions not listed below that require caution. Be prepared for swollen streams, bridge washouts, downed trees, and trail erosion when hiking in the park's backcountry.
• Boogerman/Caldwell Fork trails - several bridges are out. No schedule for repairs at this time.
• Enloe Creek Trail - the footbridge crossing Enloe Creek has washed out. The steel bridge crossing Raven Fork is not affected.
• Trails throughout the park have downed trees due to severe storms. Please see the list of closed trails above. Other trails may have areas that are difficult to negotiate due to downed trees.
• Boat shuttles to and from Hazel Creek when lake levels are low are from the Ollie Cove Trailhead on the Hazel Creek embayment. Ask the shuttle service about this when making a reservation to be dropped or picked up. This is due to a bridge that is out of service on Hazel Creek and adds about 1/2 mile to the hike. Trail signs are in place to direct you from the Hazel Creek Trail and Lakeshore Trail intersection to Ollie Cove Trail that is one mile east on Lakeshore Trail from Hazel Creek.
Cave and Mine Shaft Closure
Entry into all caves and mine shafts is prohibited due to concerns about the spread of white nose syndrome among bats. more