May 22, 2015
Weather-related road and facility closures may change throughout the day. For updated road and weather information please call (865) 436-1200. Once you hear a voice, dial extension 631 for road information or extension 630 for a weather forecast.
Follow road status updates on Twitter at http://twitter.com/smokiesroadsnps. Updates are available for Newfound Gap Road (US-441), Little River Road, Laurel Creek Road, and Cades Cove Loop Road.
This webpage is updated 3-4 times a week. For the most current report, please call the number listed above or follow on Twitter.
Roads and Facilities
Temporary Closures and Construction Projects
- Newfound Gap Road (US-441) construction in 2015 - crews will be working on the road between Sugarlands Visitor Center and Chimneys Picnic Area. Motorists can expect one lane closures and brief delays through June 15.
- Foothills Parkway (unfinished section) - the entire unfinished section between Walland and Wears Valley is now closed to all public use until 2017 due to construction.
- The Blue Ridge Parkway is a separate National Park Service unit from Great Smoky Mountains National Park. For information about parkway closures, please call (828) 298-0398 or visit the parkway's website at http://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm.
Seasonal Closures Are In Effect At This Time
For information about seasonal closures, including Clingmans Dome, Rich Mountain Road, Parson Branch Road, and others during the winter months, please see:
Seasonal Road Closures
Seasonal Facility Closures
For current backcountry trail and campsite information, please call (865) 436-1297.
- areas that are closed due to bear activity. Please read What Do I Do If I See A Bear?
for important safety information about bears.
- Laurel Falls Trail
- Shuckstack Tower along the AT
- Mount Le Conte Shelter and lodge area
- Russell Field Shelter
- Backcountry Campsites 24, 113
Other Backcountry Closures and Warnings
- Alum Cave Trail and associated parking areas will be closed to all visitor use on Monday mornings at 7:00 a.m. through Thursday evenings at 5:30 p.m. each week (excluding federal holidays) from May 4 through November 19, 2015. The trail will be open on Friday through Sunday. More information
- Fontana Dam is closed to vehicle traffic due to a construction project. Hikers can park at the Fontana Dam Visitor Center and walk across a marked route to access the park trailheads, including the AT, the Lakeshore Trail and the Benton Mackaye Trail.
- Scott Mountain Trail is closed from campsite #6 to Schoolhouse Gap. Campsite #6 is open.
- Backcountry Campsite 11 is closed
Please note that the park's backcountry is managed as a natural area where the forces of nature determine trail conditions. The following list includes some conditions that the park is currently aware of. However, hikers may encounter trail conditions not listed below that require caution. Be prepared for swollen streams, bridge washouts, downed trees, and trail erosion when hiking in the park's backcountry.
- Boogerman/Caldwell Fork trails - several bridges are out. No schedule for repairs at this time.
- Enloe Creek Trail - the footbridge crossing Enloe Creek has washed out. The steel bridge crossing Raven Fork is not affected.
- Trails throughout the park have downed trees due to severe storms. Please see the list of closed trails above. Other trails may have areas that are difficult to negotiate due to downed trees.
- Boat shuttles to and from Hazel Creek when lake levels are low are from the Ollie Cove Trailhead on the Hazel Creek embayment. Ask the shuttle service about this when making a reservation to be dropped or picked up. This is due to a bridge that is out of service on Hazel Creek and adds about 1/2 mile to the hike. Trail signs are in place to direct you from the Hazel Creek Trail and Lakeshore Trail intersection to Ollie Cove Trail that is one mile east on Lakeshore Trail from Hazel Creek.
Cave and Mine Shaft Closure
Entry into all caves and mine shafts is prohibited due to concerns about the spread of white nose syndrome among bats. more