• Historic Shot of Canal Boat on the Canal

    Chesapeake & Ohio Canal

    National Historical Park DC,MD,WV

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • Water Pump Handles Temporarily Removed

    Evitts Creek Hiker-Biker Campground water pump handle has been removed due to bad water samples. Handles will be reinstalled when good water samples are received.

  • Parking Lot Closure

    CSX is now beginning a phase of their bridge project that requires the closure of the Lock 74 parking lot for approximatly 18 months. Access to visitor parking near Lock 75 is now re-opened with a gravel parking lot at the site.

  • Boat Rides at Great Falls

    Regularly scheduled tour times for the mule-drawn canal boat at Great Falls have changed. In July and August 2014 tours will be offered Saturdays and Sundays at 11:00, 1:30 and 3:00. More »

Contact Us

By Mail
Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park Headquarters Office
1850 Dual Highway, Suite 100
Hagerstown, MD 21740-6620

By Phone
Park Headquarters 301-739-4200
Georgetown Visitor Center 202-653-5190
Great Falls Tavern Visitor Center 301-767-3714
Brunswick Visitor Center 301-834-7100
Williamsport Visitor Center 301-582-0813
Hancock Visitor Center 301-745-5877
Cumberland Visitor Center 301-722-8226

By Email

C&O Canal NHP Headquaters

Click Here to Report a Safety Hazard along the C&O Canal

By Fax
301-739-5275

Did You Know?

Drawing DaVinci's lock gate design 1485.

Transporting goods and people by canal dates back to antiquity. The lock gates used on the C&O Canal were an adaptation of a design by Leonardo DaVinci in the late 1400's. Until the advent of the railroad, water travel was far superior to land travel.