Best Ways to Prevent Animal-Transmitted Diseases:
- Never touch or feed wildlife.
- Always wash your hands after spending time outdoors.
- Store food in animal-proof containers.
- Never leave backpacks unattended in the park. Squirrels and other rodents commonly dig through belongings in search of food.
- Discard any food that has come in contact with wildlife.
- If bitten or scratched by an animal, or if you suspect that you've been infected, consult a medical doctor.
- If your living space has been contaminated with wildlife droppings, including rodent droppings, follow the guidelines from The Centers for Disease Control to clean up.